# Job Summary
Zoo keeper interns in the Minnesota & Tropics Trails work area learn to provide care for some of the animals included in the Minnesota Zoo?s collections of animals native to Minnesota and animals in the Zoo?s collection of tropical species.
Interns learn how to maintain and enrich animal exhibits, support and monitor the health of the diverse species in these collections, develop and monitor the impact of enrichment activities on the animals, and interpret these collections for visitors through demonstrations and presentations.
This posting will fill three openings. One intern will be assigned to work with the Lemus and Tapirs; one will be assigned to work with carnivores; one will be assigned to work with primates.
All interns complete an individual project developed in consultation with zoo keeper and zoologist staff.
## Minimum Qualifications:
* Enrollment in an accredited, appropriate post-secondary program which requires completion of a work-based internship as part of its academic program; most such internships require that students be earning academic credit required for graduation.
* Customer service skills sufficient to work with visitors, staff, support organizations and outside interestswith courtesy, respect, and interest in positive problem solving
* Ability to operate some hand and hand power tools safely under supervision.
* Ability to understand and follow instructions.
* Ability to understand technical/scientific literature that relates to the health, training and management of animals in human care.
* Computer skills in word processing, spreadsheet and other software applications sufficient to create emails and enter, compile, store and retrieve data
* Math skills sufficient to add, subtract, multiply, divide, work with fractions and make basic measurement conversions
## Preferred Qualifications:
* Enrollment in a post-secondary academic program in Biology, Zoology, Wildlife Management, Natural Resources, Ecology or closely related animal science field
## Physical Requirements
* Documentation of negative TV (mantoux) test result from within the last 12 months required before Internship Agreement can be prepared.
* Documentation of rabies vaccine and current titer results preferred.
* *Interns who are not rabies vaccinated may not be permitted to directly handle specified animals in the Zoo’s collections.
* Ability to occasionally shovel snow and soil
* Ability to negotiate all types of terrain
* Ability to move up to 50 pounds occasionally
* Ability to lift and move large objects in a team over uneven terrain
* Ability to bend and crouch occasionally throughout the day
* Ability to climb stairs and ladders occasionally throughout the day
* Ability to tolerate loud noises regularly throughout the day
* Ability to stand for long periods of time throughout the day
## Additional Requirements
Following submission of online application, candidates will be required to provide the following additional materials to be considered for an interview:
* Current transcript (unofficial acceptable)
* Completed online survey, sent by email following initial application review
## How to Apply
Click?Apply? at the bottom of this page. When applying, _please attach/upload a copy of your resume and a letter of interest_. If you have questions about applying for jobs, contact the job information line at 651-###-####.
For additional information about the application process, go to
If you have questions about the position, contact Mary Saurino at …@state.mn.us or 952/431-9307.
* * *
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employer. We are committed to providing culturally responsive services to all Minnesotans. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
We will make reasonable accommodations to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at 651-###-#### or email …@state.mn.us. Please indicate what assistance you need.
*Job Title:* Zoological Intern – Zoo Keeper, Minnesota & Tropics Trails
*Location:* Apple Valley
*Job ID:* 28657
*Full/Part Time:* Full-Time
*Who May Apply:* Open to all qualified job seekers
*Date Posted:* 01/02/2019
*Closing Date:* 02/01/2019
*Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit:* Minnesota Zoological Garden / Zoo Gardens-Non Employee
*Hiring Agency:* Minnesota Zoological Garden / Zoo Gardens-Non Employee
*Division/Unit:* Biological Programs / Tropics
*Work Shift:* Four-10 hour days; scheduled between 7:00 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. This internship is 12 weeks long.
*Work Hours:* Four-10 hour days; scheduled between 7:00 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. This internship is 12 weeks long.
*Work Shift/Work Hours:* Four-10 hour days; scheduled between 7:00 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. This internship is 12 weeks long.
*Days of Work:* May include one or two weekend days
*Travel Required:* No
*Salary Range:* This is an unpaid, summer 2019 internship which must be completed between May 14, 2019 and August 30, 2019.
*Job Class:* Zoological Intern
*Working Title:* Intern – Minnesota & Tropics Trails