The Warehouse Operations Manager directs warehousing activities for Dole Diversified North America. The position leads and facilitates in the planning development and performance of the warehouse and distribution strategy while promoting best handling practices and creating efficient and effective processes.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS/DUTIES OF THE POSITION
- Supervision of Dole seasonal warehouse and office staff personnel.
- Convene regularly with terminal operator to ensure labor and warehousing requirements are satisfactorily met.
- Confer with the terminal operator representative the daily assignments of union labor.
- Monitor and adjust union labor assignments to maximize production and reduce cost in all areas of our operation.
- Manage warehouse facilities, monitor temperature and humidity, and ethaline levels to maintain optimal cold storage environment.
- Design and implement process improvements to reduce costs and increase efficiencies.
- Negotiate rates for third party cold storage requirements.
- Coordinate daily sales availability.
- Advise sales, quality control and operations of all discharge and loading schedules.
- Organize inventory assignments in conjunction with quality control results and sales input to satisfy customer demands. (fruit slotting).
- Responsible for inventory control, including product handling and storage/shipment at the cold storage.
- Arrange, coordinate and verify storage trucks for drayage from outside terminals.
- Manage turn time; fill rates, and product rotation to maximize product shelf life.
- Direct third party repack operations and inventory control.
- Consult with IT on hardware and software (programing) issues/ improvements that impact daily operational abilities.
- Conduct daily inspections with customer representatives to approve selected “lots” for sales orders.
- Coordinate with regulatory agencies on all import inspections and requirements to ensure all imports meet the terms of entry conditions.
- Meet all food safety and GMP requirements.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES (Knowledge, Skill And Experience Requirements)
- 3-5 years of experience with a medium to large produce enterprise; supply chain; cold storage distribution; and or transportation roles.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, organizational, leadership, team building and analytical skills.
- Knowledge of shipping and receiving procedures, warehouse and inventory distribution, and logistics processes.
- Strong in multitasking and being a change agent for business.
- Must have the ability to make quick decisions and work under short timelines.
- Knowledge of labor union practices.
- Knowledge of fruit import requirements.
- Strong computer skills, Dole system and Microsoft Office suite capabilities.
- Flexible to work extended hours, weekends, and holidays as business needs dictate.
- Functional Expertise
Requires in-depth understanding of concepts, theories and principles in own discipline and basic knowledge of other disciplines
- Business Acumen
Ability to apply understanding of the industry and how own area contributes to the achievement of objectives and integrates within own function
- Problem Solving
Ability to identify and resolve technical, operational and organizational problems
Ability to manage a generally homogeneous team; adapts plans and priorities to meet service and/or operational challenges
Ability to impact the level of service and the team’s ability to meet quality, volume, and timeliness objectives; guided by policies, resource requirements, budget and the business plan
- Interpersonal Skills/ Influence
Ability to guide, influence and persuade others either internally in other areas or externally with customers or agencies
INTERNAL & EXTERNAL RELATIONS
- Collaboration with customer service, sales, plant and warehouse operations.
- Collaboration with customers and suppliers.
- Collaboration with third party warehouse and cold storage providers.
- Collaboration with government agencies.
- Collaboration with terminal operators and union labor representatives.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATION
- Bachelor’s degree in in supply chain, logistics, operations management, business or equivalent work experience in related industry or functional areas with undergraduate degree.
- 6 seasonal employees.
- Ability to fill in at domestic and international travel locations for multiple week assignments when gaps in management coverage occur or performance challenges arise.
- Ability to travel to other locations during various seasons is required at a moment’s notice. All travel expenses are paid for by the company.
- Ability to sit, stand, walk, climb, squat, and stoop throughout the work week as needed.
- Ability to use phone, computer, and office equipment and to sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in 32-36 degree environment for extended periods.
- Available on-call for night and weekend duties at any time, based on business requirements.
- Must have valid driver’s license.
WORK HOUR REQUIREMENT
- Ability to work overtime, weekends, rotating shifts required.
- Travel required as needed.
EEO STATEMENT: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
Job Location Wilmington, Delaware, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular