Buchan Logging, provides landowners the confidence their woods will be managed with care and extra focus on proper woodlot handling and sustainable management. We provide logging services throughout Indiana and Ohio with a sawmill based in New Haven, Indiana. In addition to logging and a sawmill, the Buchan family has their own grain farm and runs Farmers Grain & Ag, LLC, a grain elevator and fertilizer provider in Willshire, OH.
We’re hiring for a full-time Timber Cutter – Equipment Operator for our logging operation in New Haven, Indiana. As a Timber Cutter, you will perform a variety of logging operations including timber cutting, skidder operating, log bucking, loader operation, and general maintenance of machinery. You will be working in a safety-first environment where focusing on the details and careful operation of equipment is critical.
This would be the perfect opportunity for you if you enjoy being active, working outdoors, and being on a fast-paced team. Timber cutting and skidder training will be provided. It may take as long as one year to become proficient in this position. We are willing to train any individual that displays sincere willingness and effort to learn and grow with us.
Compensation is highly dependent on the individual.
What you would be doing:
- Perform tree cutting and skidding (logging) operations
- Conduct logging operations under supervision of Foreman
- Trail and road maintenance and construction
- Operate chainsaw and various power tools to cut timber to appropriate size for transportation
- Load timber onto trailer and ensure safe transportation
- Follow safety rules and maintain a safe work environment
- Maintain equipment and keep warehouse and facilities clean and organized
- Assist with general farm duties when required, such as equipment maintenance, facility maintenance and cleaning, and equipment operation
This job might be for you if you have:
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Hands-on farm and/or forestry work experience is preferred
- Possession of Class A CDL or willingness and ability to obtain preferred; willing to train
- Basic chainsaw operating and use of power equipment
- The ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions and temperatures
- The ability to lift up to 45-50 pounds and be able to climb, bend, kneel and work on feet throughout the day
- The ability to work in a smaller 2-4 person team
- A solid work ethic and a good reputation for attendance/punctuality