The goal of the Technology Development organization is to develop and drive the commercial growth of new products by delivering data, insight and information to describe distinguishing features, advantages and benefits, document value and generate customer demand. The successful candidate will be responsible for executing a field trial plan to select new commercial products for the following (but not limited to) crop portfolios: Tomatoes, Peppers, Squash, Cucumber, Beans, and Watermelon.
- Strategy and Planning
- Develops, executes and continuously improves a strategic plan for territory, aligned with business unit objectives, that increases sales rep and dealer effectiveness, grows customer engagement, and ultimately increases market share and profitability.
- Leads the planning of field-based applied research that will inform the strategic development and application of products that meet growers’ and supply chain customers’ needs.
- Uses overall understanding of market potential, competition, key trends, research and emerging market forces to become an industry expert and develop strategies and plans that effectively grow market share and profitability.
- Maximizes on opportunities to position the value and performance of products to growers, dealers and other supply-chain customers through sales teams and dealers.
- Allocates and utilizes available resources (e.g., time, budget, network) to maximize return on strategic plan for territory.
- Field – Based Applied Research
- Defines and plans the appropriate trial based on the objective (product selection, FABS, recommendations). Develop and follows sounds research protocols based on the selected that meet Monsanto’s data needs.
- Manages relationships with third-party cooperators to ensure timely completion of research projects and integrity of data collected.
- Manages the logistical details involved with field-based applied research to ensure timely completion of research projects and integrity of data collected.
- Analyzes collected data using appropriate and scientifically rigorous methods. Uses analysis to assist with production selection, to develop FABs, and to assist in developing recommendations.
- Applied Product Knowledge
- Leverages knowledge of the near term product pipeline to inform and lead sales support, field-based applied research, and knowledge transfer efforts.
- Technical Agronomic Knowledge
- Leverages knowledge of crop production and management practices including weed management, precision farming, water management, crop protection chemistries, and soil fertility to inform and enhance the quality of sales support efforts, field-based applied research, and knowledge transfer efforts.
- Leverages knowledge of entomology and pathology concepts and research to inform and enhance the quality of sales support, field-based applied research, and knowledge transfer efforts.
- Leverages knowledge of plant nutrition concepts and research (e.g. nutrients needed for proper plant growth, sustainability, etc.) to inform and enhance the quality of sales support, field-based applied research, and knowledge transfer efforts.
- Leverages knowledge of plant breeding and biotechnology concepts and research (e.g. genetics, hybrids, breeding methods, trait insertion, etc.) to inform and enhance the quality of sales support, field-based applied research, and knowledge transfer efforts.
- Knowledge Transfer
- Organizes and delivers training and coaching to sales representatives, dealers, TD counterparts, and other supply-chain customers through field days and other, appropriate opportunities.
- Leverages individualized opportunities to educate and exchange knowledge with consultants (third parties), growers, sales representatives, dealers, other supply-chain customers, and other stakeholders.
- Creates and uses tools from collected and analyzed data to develop the performance story, support the transfer of product and agronomic knowledge, and support the sales process.
- Operational Excellence
- Leverages knowledge of organizational roles and functions and demonstrates networking, teamwork, and relationship building to effectively and efficiently accomplish work tasks.
- Uses productivity tools to increase professional performance. Demonstrates agility to stay up-to-date with technology needed to do job effectively.
- Preparing and submitting reports, setting trial plans, submitting and reporting on budgets, and managing the claims process in a timely manner.
- BS in Agronomy, Crop Sciences, Horticulture, Plant Pathology, Entomology, Weed Science, and/or related field with a minimum of 5 years experience in vegetable agronomic research, field biology, and/or plant sciences; OR a MS/PhD in Agronomy, Crop Sciences, Horticulture, Plant Pathology, Entomology, Weed Science, and/or related field.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to perform successfully in a fast-paced, dynamic, team-based environment.
- Must be self motivated and assertive with a results orientation.
- Proficient with standard IT tools.
- Willingness to travel extensively within the territory and occasional regional and national travel.
- Willingness to relocate is highly desired
- The successful candidate must pass a substance abuse test and background and driving record checks.
- Master”s and/or PhD in Agronomy, Crop Sciences, Horticulture, Plant Pathology, Entomology, Weed Science, and/or related field.
- Experience working in the following crops: Tomato, Peppers, or Watermelon.