At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment with a strong emphasis on process safety, as well as the safety of our employees and the communities we operate in and are always working to form the best team especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America’s Best Employers in 2017. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Where the Chemistry Happens…
Technician -Application Lab – Southfield
This role is part of the Technical Service Team for Transportation, Industrial, Furniture and Floor (TIF) Coatings business within the Dispersions and Resins regional business unit. The coatings we support can be applied to metal (automobiles, airplanes, pipes, bridges, and water towers), wood composites and tile (office furniture, doors, cabinets, tile) and even plastics.
Formula for Success:
- Formulate, apply, and test coatings and raw materials for coatings; formulations include waterborne, solvent-based, and radiation cured (ultraviolet) technologies.
- Application techniques include drawdowns, dip coatings, brush coatings and spray application.
- Test coatings using both industry-standard and customer-specific testing to meet customer needs.
- Utilize technologies that help with appearance of coatings (color, clarity, gloss) and protect substrates from the environment (salt, water, chemicals… even the Sun).
- Contribute to the lab’s overall success for safety, quality, maintenance of lab equipment, supplies and housekeeping.
- Work closely with the Technical Service Team, Research and Development colleagues, the Marketing Team, and members of the Sales Team.
Qualifications – BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
- High School Diploma or GED and 9 years of chemical laboratory experience OR Bachelor’s Degree in a scientific discipline with 2 years of chemical laboratory experience.
- Demonstrate strong observation skill
- Work well with others (both within and outside of a team)
- Effective communication skills (both written and oral)
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Coatings and/or Spray Application experience is highly desired
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
BASF recognizes institutions of higher education accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent.
Nearest Major Market: Detroit