Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Understand all aspects of electronic feed system and how to run the complete system.
- Maintain the feed system, perform maintenance, and how to trouble shoot problems.
Research Processes, Validations, Data and Record Keeping
- Maintain 100% confidentiality on all operational and research procedures.
- Understand all research processes and carry them out in accordance to maintain a 1% level of error or less.
- Record and use all record keeping and budgeting tools created for research.
- Collect daily barn readings and complete daily paperwork, and complete weekly validations
- Answer alarms calls if they pose an animal welfare issue and always be aware of possible concerns that might arise.
- Maintain, run, and validate all research scales and equipment.
- Collect and submit feed samples for research trials
- Order feed in accordance with the current research protocol with the correct diets and give the mill at least 24 hours’ notice to prepare the needed feed.
- Maintain and run the equipment on the feed bins and understand how and why to rotate feed bins.
- Understand all the needs of a wean to market animal and perform daily caretaking suited to the age of animal and present situation. Before leaving each day make sure all of these needs have been met.
- Understand the current research projects and protocols.
- Maintain accurate written and computer records as required by trial protocols.
- Have an understanding of the different medications used in pork production and their uses in conjunction with animal age, environment, vaccination timing, and symptoms present.
- Have an understanding of the vaccines used, the application of those vaccines, and their timing so they can be the most effective.
- Know how to run the Maximus ventilation controllers in order to make needed ventilation changes, collect data, trouble shooting, and general maintenance.
- Perform general maintenance on site equipment including but not limited to: feeders, waters, inlets, inlet motors, curtains, curtain motors, gates, feed lines, feed motors, slats, flooring, water lines, fans, louvers, etc.
- Ensure all fans, back up thermostats, e-drops, and generators are working on a weekly basis.
- Know how to run and maintain the Select Dosers/Stenner Pumps.
- Keep sites clean inside and out, including cleaning the office weekly and daily laundry
- Notify management of needed supplies, problems, questions, and concerns in a timely manner for the situation.
- Move pigs according to their age and the job we are trying to accomplish like loading trucks, unloading trucks, allotting, weighing, marketing, sorting, etc. according to PQA Plus and TQA Plus guidelines.
- Know how to and when to humanly euthanize animals in accordance to their age and situation, and PQA Plus guidelines.
- Collect diagnostics tissue sets, oral fluids, fecal samples, and draw blood off all ages of pigs.
- Maintain biosecurity as it has been laid out for all entry into a site. This includes employees, non-employees, equipment, supplies, etc.
- Remain compliant with all PQA and TQA practices and certifications.
- Collaborate with other departments within the company.
- 45+ hours per week and every other weekend, good attendance is critical.
- Extended hours may be needed on processing days such as: allotting, weighing, marketing, barn setup or due to equipment breakdowns/maintenance.
- Scheduled weekends, scheduled holidays and being available 24 hours a day for alarm calls and emergencies.
- Scheduled, rotational on-call hours for alarm calls and emergencies also required