The Sweetness Product Development Scientist in the Cargill Starches, Sweeteners and Texturizers (CSST) R&D Group will serve as an internal and external technology expert in the product development and applications of new sweeteners, in particular stevia-based sweeteners and other high intensity sweeteners (HIS). The incumbent will develop deep knowledge of stevia-based ingredients and potentially other sweetener ingredients, and will work closely with the global Applications Team to commercialize customer-focused innovations, develop new products and evaluate external technologies. The person must align technical work activities with strategic business goals and ensure multidisciplinary approaches are taken, when needed. Research efforts will involve cross-functional interaction with commercial and technical service teams, as well as customers. This position will provide direction, technical excellence, project management and execution to the projects across the Sweetness Application space.
60% Support new product development and innovation across the sweetener portfolio, with stevia-based sweeteners. Work closely with the Food Applications Team to execute on commercial priorities and communicate results to the commercial teams. Develop expertise in stevia sweetener ingredients and formulation and technologies and apply knowledge to internal development projects and customer-focused innovation projects. Provide pre-commercialization and commercialization support (troubleshooting, sensory quality issues, customer presentations), develop specifications and validate sensory aspects of products.
10% Oversee and manage specific applications-focused projects and efforts, particularly in the high intensity sweetener space. Employ appropriate project management tools in conjunction with required rigor.
10% Develop plans to evaluate new ingredients in a variety of applications, depending upon commercial needs in different geographies. Oversee the execution of these plans and communication of results to relevant stakeholders.
10% Identify white space opportunities for sweetness innovation and perform technical evaluation and feasibility in collaboration with Applications team members. Innovate and bring new ideas forward to the applications team, prioritize and execute them effectively. Turn concepts into food systems and solutions that provide a distinct advantage for customers and for Cargill. Generate intellectual property as appropriate.
5% Evaluate external sweetener technologies, including competitive products and new products in development for their feasibility in the marketplace (from a technical viewpoint).
5% Support and lead management processes around innovation, project management, environmental health and safety, food safety and regulatory/laboratory compliance.
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Science or related field Food Engineering, Food Chemistry or other relevant science-related degree
- 5 or more years’ experience in formulation and ingredient applications
- Able to apply technical expertise to understand sweetener ingredient functionality and its effects on sensory attributes and overall product acceptability
- Able to design, apply, analyze, and interpret data
- Able to understand basics and use of sensory data; knowledgeable about sensory science techniques
- Able to communicate and work as a team with various internal business and external customer teams; ability to work in a matrix organization
- Familiarity with project management tools and processes
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including report writing skills
- Able and willing to work on product development using novel and/or non-GRAS food ingredients
- Demonstrated strong problem-solving skills and analytical thinking ability
- Capable to lead projects and execute on innovation opportunities identified
- Capable to lead collaborative projects with key Enterprise customers
- Ability to manage multiple projects on a deadline basis
- Ability to travel up to 20%, as needed
- Master of Science in Food Science or related field
- 7 or more years relevant industrial experience
- Experience in ingredient development of Sweeteners and their applications in Food and Beverages
- Experience bringing new sweeteners to market
- Experience in stevia applications development