This position will provide leadership for the Crop Protection, Fertilizer, Seed and Precision Ag and Technical Services business units at Agtegra. This position is responsible for the overall strategy, marketing, sales, direction, coordination and evaluation of these areas. Serves as a member of the leadership team of Agtegra and participates in the overall direction and strategic vision of the cooperative.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead strategic direction for the Agronomy Division including the functional areas of Crop Protection, Fertilizer, Seed and Precision Ag, Technical Services and sales ensuring that products and services are offered in the market place at a competitive value to our customers.
- Work with functional leads to build and implement tactical action plans from a product and service marketing perspective to support strategic imperatives.
- Understand the Agronomy marketplace from a value and competitive standpoint and develop strategic plan on agronomy sales and market perspective.
- Maintains current knowledge of the market and technology in the agricultural industry.
- Supports and encourages cross-divisional collaboration in all areas of the company.
- Manages high level directors and leaders within the organization to maximum performance. Coaches, develops and challenges high potential employees to ensure continual learning and development of direct reports.
- Oversees and collaborates with the Precision Ag Director to set the strategic direction of Agtegra’s Precision Ag program.
- Provides leadership to Marketing Directors in the development and implementation of short and long-term plans regarding product purchasing, placement, programs and people in the market.
- Form communication channels with Agronomy Operations to ensure smooth delivery of products, programs and services to our customers.
- Participate in the development and maintain the operating budget for department. Expectation is to work within the frame of approved budgets and forecasts.
- Maintains open communication with fertilizer and chemical distributors, precision ag and seed suppliers.
- Challenge organization design to deliver value to our customers and organization. Be a change agent.
- Serve as an advocate for the agricultural industry and represent Agtegra in industry associations and committees.
Education and Experience Required
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university and eight years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Prior talent management experience is helpful. Computer competency required. Agricultural Coop or retail experience is preferred.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or scheduled form.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (M.S. Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and Internet.
- Excellent change management skills required. Ability to make formal presentations on a variety of work-related topics on a regular basis required. Ability to travel to Agtegra’s’ locations throughout SD and ND and other trips as needed.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Visionary Leadership – Displays passion and optimism; Inspires respect and trust; Mobilizes others to fulfill the vision; Provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates. Designs and builds the strategy for the division.
Change Management – Develops workable implementation plans; Communicates changes effectively; Builds commitment and overcomes resistance; Prepares and supports those affected by change; Monitors transition and evaluates results.
Leadership – Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; Effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Accepts feedback from others; Gives appropriate recognition to others.
Managing People – Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; Takes responsibility for subordinates’ activities; Makes self available to staff; Doesn’t hold back anything that needs to be said; provides current, direct, complete and actionable positive and correct feedback to others; lets people know where they stand; faces up to people problems on any person or situation quickly and directly; is not afraid to take negative action when necessary. Develops subordinates’ skills and encourages growth; Solicits and applies customer feedback (internal and external); Fosters quality focus in others; Improves processes, products and services.; Continually works to improve supervisory skills.
Business Acumen – Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability; Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; Aligns work with strategic goals.
Strategic Thinking – Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Understands organization’s strengths & weaknesses; Analyzes market and competition; Identifies external threats and opportunities; Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
Innovation – Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others’ attention.