Position Purpose & Summary
Responsible for the day to day operating activities and tactical innovation strategy for the McDonald’s breakfast research, development team and innovation team. Responsibility including developing technology solutions and providing business and customer partnership, value creation and optimization, technology leadership, and talent management.
Business Creation and Value Partnership – 50%
- Directs and guides less senior team members to provide technology guidance in developing tactical plans and coordination of execution.
- Leads a team of professionals completing basic research and product development. Ensures the efficient delivery of accurate and results to the customer.
- Provide leadership through deployment of improved methodologies, testing programs/reports, and enhanced quality assurance.
- Ensure timely and effective research results.
- May lead customer communications and relations.
- Contributes to technology innovation growth initiatives across the channel by providing insight and input to more senior team members on emerging trends and needs of of the breakfast category.
- Contribute to the development of the innovation pipeline.
Talent Management – 30%
- Provides tactical functional leadership, coaching and manages technology professional and support staff team members, including coaching Cargill’s core values.
- Direct accountability for selection, training, performance management, talent development and engagement of innovation team members.
- Creates plans for workforce needs for respective scope and directs the implementation of plan.
- Accountable for performance management, talent development, succession planning and engagement for direct reports
Technology Strategy/Leadership – 20%
- Contributes to the implementation of Cargill Protein long term vision and strategic direction including medium to short-range objectives, policies and strategy on behalf of McDonald’s.
- Identify and implement continuous improvement plans to ensure effectiveness, efficiency and accuracy of results.
- Responsible for implementation and providing overall coordination of R&D matters within scope of responsibilities including:
- Completion of routine analysis and experiments
- Conducting trials, developing products/processes & measuring results (including iterative testing and refinement of methodology)
- Partnering with commercial and marketing/innovation teams to define tactical plans, processes, and training mechanisms
- Provides technology leadership to the business in developing operational/tactical technology plans and coordinating their execution.
Education, Experience, Skills
Minimum Required Qualifications
• Minimum BS required in Food Science, Chemistry, Biochemistry,
Chemical Engineering, or other related scientific discipline.
• > 8 years of industry experience.
• Must have experience in new product development and commercialization of food products.
• Must have experience working directly with external customers across different functions including culinary, quality systems, marketing, and product development.
• Must have experience working directly with internal stakeholders including commercial, culinary, marketing, quality systems, operations, and project management.
• Proven track record of successful product launches.
• Requires travel up to >25%.
• Must possess skills to work in a lab, pilot plant, and manufacturing
• Must have strong interpersonal skills and a proven track record of
communicating and influencing effectively across R&D and cross-
• Must enjoy working in a cross-functional environment.
• Must have project management skills and be able to work under tight
• Must have strong presentation skills with a broad variety of audiences.
• Must have a strong desire for results and ability to bring projects to
• M ust be highly organized and able to prioritize tasks in order to meet
• Flexibility and adaptability to changes.
• D emonstrated balance between business acumen and scientific
curiosity/critical thinking in order to analyze and solve problems.