Positions are being filled under the Pathways Student Internship Authority which is designed to provide students enrolled in a variety of educational institutions, from high school to graduate level, with paid work opportunities in agencies to explore federal careers while in school.
IMPORTANT APPLICATION DEADLINE: The first referral of candidates will be made from applications received by 11:59 PM EST, December 09, 2018; subsequent cut off dates and referrals will be made as vacancies occur.
Learn more about this agency
- The incumbent of this position receives varied assignments designed to provide on-the-job training and experience in activities related to veterinary services.
- Assignments will vary by Agency, Office, and setting, including headquarters-type setting, veterinary field environment, and veterinary laboratory.
- The major duties for each setting include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Headquarters-type Setting:
- Supports program management and animal health information systems.
- Gathers, verifies, and enters information and data.
- Conducts document reviews and literature searches.
- Conducts statistical, quantitative or qualitative analysis and produces analytical reports.
- Translates veterinary medical, scientific, and regulatory information into language easily understood by a variety of contacts.
- Veterinary Field Environment:
- Supports Veterinary Medical Officers in the application of standard veterinary medical practices. Contacts livestock and poultry owners to schedule testing.
- Identifies, tags, and records animals to be tested.
- Draws blood samples for laboratory testing.
- Performs testing of various livestock, poultry, and animal body tissues to detect and diagnose disease and other conditions.
- Veterinary Laboratory Setting:
- Supports work of program management and/or animal health information systems.
- Collects, verifies, and tracks data to produce reports.
- Performs veterinary testing and identification activities to assist in animal disease control and eradication.