The position is accountable for capturing value from the market place for the products and services offered by Cargill Cocoa & Chocolate North America (CCCNA). A key responsibility is to build and instill a value-based pricing culture with the pricing team and the broader commercial, sales, finance and supply chain teams. The Strategic Pricing Manager will be a part of a high-performing pricing team, responsible for performance, productivity and development. The Strategic Pricing Manager will help develop and execute pricing strategy (aligned to broader business, product line, and channel strategy) and drive pricing decisions and end-to-end pricing processes, to achieve profitability goals for the business. The position is expected to collaborate on pricing strategy with other Cargill Cocoa & Chocolate (CCC) regions as necessary.
70% PnL Responsibility – Pricing Strategy to Pricing Execution
- Primary responsibility is bringing business strategies to execution and driving business to profitability
- Responsibility for the day to day Pricing Desk, coaching and guiding 2 Sr. Pricing Analysts and 1 System Analyst through proper communication and governance
- Collaborate with product line, sales, marketing on strategies teams in development of proposals to strategic customers
- Manage, track and adjust strategy including Pricing Segmentation process and price setting
- Periodically report progress, wins, losses, risks and opportunities to leadership and peers.
- Approve exceptions to margin guidance.
- Make sure pricing and contract management teams maintain high standards of tactical execution.
- Collaborate with Data and Analytics team to continuously develop new solutions for analytics.
- Responsible for driving a highly candid team communication culture within the pricing team as well as broader peer groups.
30% Develop Value-based vision, strategy, and culture within CCCNA – partnering with marketing / product line, sales, finance, R&D & supply chain.
- Build, cascade, and reinforce a compelling long-term vision for the pricing and the pricing function in alignment with overall CCCNA.
- Key member in helping build and deploy an overall strategic roadmap for pricing – aligned to broader CCCNA product line / channel strategy and focusing on differential customer value creation and a market backed approach.
- Build and deploy a business model to support pricing with clear value-based processes, cross functional team training and continuous improvement initiatives, analytics, connectivity to marketing insights, and development / ownership of pricing metrics.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- 7-10 years of business experience.
- 5 or more years of pricing experience and/or PnL ownership.
- Proven ability to engage and inspire people.
- Must be able to make unpopular decisions under time and personal pressure.
- Proven strategic business skills.
- Skilled communicator, verbal and written.
- Proven effective negotiator.
- Ability to turn data into actionable insights.
- Must be highly quantitative.
- Need to have deep understanding of how soft commodity markets work.
- Proven ability to behave in accordance with Cargill values and ethics.
- Ability to travel up to 25%.
- Technical Skills
- Analytical Problem Solving: Identify problems; apply structured and disciplined methodology to identify root cause using data.
- Build strong working relationships.
- Communicate goals and strategies effectively across multiple levels of leadership within the organization.
- Budget management, knowledge of key business financial metrics.
- High technology savviness and ability to visualize a technological solution for a task or a problem.
- Education (includes formal education, certifications, accreditations, etc.).
- MBA or advanced degree in business.
- SAP experience.
- Proven ability to teach other people complex topics.
- 3 years’ experience in the foodservice and or food ingredient industry.
- Manufacturing experience.
- 3 years’ experience working in cocoa and chocolate.
- 3 years proven supervisory experience.
- Proven ability to think strategically and execute effectively in an undefined space.
- Experience using Pricing Optimization (Zilliant, PROS, Vendavo, etc.)