We are a team-oriented company with a high trust, entrepreneurial culture. We value our employees’ opinions, we have a strong work ethic, and are focused on growing great vegetables and developing our operations profitably. People who are most successful at CSS Farms are energetic, self-directed, and pragmatic.
This position helps support the farm by being accountable for all aspects of crop storage, load-out, and shipping, as well as supporting the production of over 1,000 acres of seed potatoes.
In this role, you will:
- Lead load-out team of 6 to 14 employees
- Work with customers and receiving farms to schedule seed shipments
- Coordinate with the state seed certification agency for shipping inspections
- Troubleshoot and provide mechanical maintenance supervision to storage and shipping operations
- Monitor potato quality and implement quality control standards as directed by Farm Manager
- Coordinate with transportation partners for inbound and outbound logistics and communication to customers
- Lead potato storage operations, maintenance, and cleaning throughout the year
- Lead seed handling and seed cutting operations during the spring planting season
- Lead the potato grading and storage filling operations during the fall harvest season
- Monitor potato bruise-free handling program during harvest and shipping
- Maintain potato storage facility in order to obtain highest possible quality and lowest amount of shrink on crop production
- Monitor all aspects of mechanical and computer control panels
- Analyze storage control data and make decisions to maximize crop quantity and quality with help of Farm Manager and Agronomist
- Maintain contact with outside groups including other farms and associated industries
- Provide, in conjunction with the Farm Manager, yearly and long-range planning to meet cost, quality, and service objectives
- Assist in managing various staff during storage harvest
- Other duties as assigned
- Walking and working outdoors in the elements.
- Standing for extended periods of time.
- Driving between farm sites to move samples and other supplies.
- Regularly handling objects of up to 65 lbs.
Expected Hours of Work
- Typical daily farm hours are 7 AM to 5 PM, Monday through Friday.
- Harvest and planting seasons are busy and may require longer hours and some weekends.
Experience and Skills:
- A valid US driver’s license or the ability to obtain one and pass vehicle insurance verification.
- A Bachelor of Science degree in an Ag related field
- At least one year of experience coordinating the storage of crops.
- 5+ years’ experience managing storage/warehouse programs over a large geographic region.
- Bilingual in English/Spanish a plus
- Experience in logistics, distribution and crop and produce storage.
- Superior organizational and project management skills.
- Excellent communication skills, including ability to train and work with operational teams on the farm.
- The ability to prioritize and re-prioritize, as needed in an ever-changing environment.
- A strong work-ethic and the ability to be self-directed while still valuing and collecting team input.
- In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
- Market competitive salary
- Healthcare, Dental and Vision coverage as outlined in the company benefits overview.
- Flex spending account for out-of-pocket medical expenses.
- 401(k) plan options.
- Short Term Disability Insurance, Long Term Disability Insurance, and Life Insurance.
- A paid time off package.
- Tuition reimbursement options.
CSS Farms is an EOE.
CSS Farms expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.