The Cargill Minneapolis Research and Development Center works to develop innovative and high-quality products to partner with customers and deliver solutions to the Food industry. The Sr. Scientist for Sweetness Application plays an important role in the success of this team.
The Senior Scientist Sweetness Applications is focused on innovation and product development within Cargill’s Sweetener portfolio, with an emphasis on stevia sweeteners. The initial focus of this position will be working with beverage customers; however, the position supports all types of sweetener research. The role supports new product development initiatives and will develop sensory-driven innovation to help move new sweeteners from concept to commercialization. The position requires cross-functional partnership, and flexibility to assist with other applications team projects, technical service teams and customers.
The Sr. Scientist Sweetness Applications position creates significant opportunities for Cargill and our customers by developing unique food solutions. This role provides direction, technical excellence and project management, for the successful execution of projects across the Sweetness Application space. In addition, this position will assist other applications teams in a wide variety of ingredient projects for Cargill’s customers.
30% Stevia Sweetener formulation and technical and supply chain feasibility
30% Support new product development and innovation across Cargill’s sweetener portfolio, including assessing performance in beverage applications and collaborating on customer specific projects.
15% Report writing, data interpretation and experiment planning
15% Travel for technical support of projects and customer visits
10% Assist other food application teams in product development
- Bachelor of Science in Food Science, Food Engineering, Chemistry, or other science-related degree.
- 5 or more years’ experience in formulation and ingredient applications
- Technical expertise to understand ingredient functionality and its effects on sensory attributes and overall product acceptability. Understand basics and use of sensory data
- Design, conduct, analyze, and report on projects in beverage categories
- Knowledgeable about techniques in sensory science following current trends and developments
- Capable to lead projects and execute on innovation opportunities identified
- Able and willing to work on product development using novel and/or non-GRAS food and personal care ingredients
- Support all company health & safety procedures and follow Cargill food safety and prototype procedures.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, strong technical presentation and report writing ability. Work as a team with various internal business and external customer teams
- Good problem-solving skills and analytical thinking ability
- Strong collaboration across applications teams, business teams, and customers
- Ability to manage multiple projects on a deadline basis
- Ability to travel 15%
- Master of Science in Food Science
- Experience in ingredient development of sweeteners and their applications in food and beverages
- Experience creating and interpreting intellectual property
- Experience bringing new sweeteners to market
- Experience in stevia applications development