The FMC Agricultural Sciences, Global Research & Development has an immediate opening for an Agricultural Engineer with a strong product application technology experience and precision agricultural engineering background. The successful candidate will join the Application Technology group located at the FMC Stine R&D center in Newark, DE.
This position requires applying engineering knowledge and understanding to provide innovative solutions that improve the delivery of Agricultural products. We are looking for someone who can translate highly technical ideas into a final product, and develop novel engineering technologies integrated with agricultural products to optimize product application and compatibility. The successful applicant will have excellent communication, project management, and leadership skills. Understanding of farming and experience working with growers is required. The successful applicant will also have strong theoretical knowledge and hands-on experience in one or more areas including product application equipment, product dispensing and delivery, electromechanical systems and robotic and automation engineering. Experience in precision agriculture concepts and technology is strongly preferred. This position requires a multidisciplinary approach and a person who can perform both conceptual design, experimental validation commercial development and support of new technologies within a collaborative team of project managers, engineers, marketing, regulatory staff, field development reps, biologists, and formulation chemists.
- Support the design, development and validation of customized application equipment and techniques to optimize the quality of FMC product application.
- Interface with the cross-functional teams to ensure product application efficacy and quality across a variety of application, handling & storage systems; evaluate product compatibility with commercial equipment designed for foliar and soil applications for crop enhancement as well as weed, disease, nematode, and insect control etc.
- Use and develop sensing and digital technology, automated control platform, and statistical approach to enhance fluidics, application reliability, delivery accuracy & performance relevant to crop protection products and support in-house innovation of application technology.
- Develop testing procedures to characterize FMC products’ interaction with farming machinery and instruments; performed custom-engineering design for improved product transferring and handling system based upon droplet spectrum and FMC products’ attributes.
- Provides urgent in-season customer support and technical assistance to business leaders, sales & marketing reps, farmers and related farm cooperatives.
- Track and communicate relevant technology developments in the field, identify and champion potential opportunities to enhance FMC’s business and provide value to our customers.
- Be able to travel both domestically and internationally when needed.
- PhD in Agricultural, Mechanical, or Electrical Engineering, with a minimum 5 years of experience or Master of Science degree in Mechanical, Electrical, or Agricultural Engineering with 10 years experiences in an agricultural business;
- Experience with equipment prototyping and testing for electromechanical systems, ag. robotic, hydraulic systems, dispensing systems, automation and controls systems
- Understanding Ag Industry technology trends, familiarity with relevant standards (ASABE, ISO, and ASTM etc.), and ability to networking with internal and external experts and stakeholders is desired
- Good working knowledge of agricultural products formulations and delivery
- Application of knowledge of automation, precision agriculture, telemetry & sensing technology commonly in use on current farming equipment and associated digital data platforms.
- Strong track record of delivering results that lead to the commercialization of technology
- Strong technical understanding and application of engineering principles with hands-on skills
- Experience with process control system and strong programming skills with C++, MATLAB® or other languages are preferred
- Excellent project management, planning, prioritization and leadership skills
- Excellent documentation and communication skills
At FMC, diversity and inclusion are in our DNA. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to creating an inclusive workplace where all employees can thrive – regardless of race, gender, sex, pregnancy, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, color, age, religion or religious creed, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law. FMC also supports employee participation in company employee resource groups that celebrate the diverse backgrounds of our workforce by providing com