Johnson-Pate Pork is a family-owned, fourth generation fully integrated grain and pork producer based in Dekalb, Illinois. We operate a G.A.P. certified farrow-to-finish swine operation producing up to 28,000 finishers a year for sale in premium markets throughout the United States. We pride ourselves on embracing progressive production practices and building a continuous-improvement focused culture that values innovation and collaboration. We are looking to continue our evolution and growth with people who share our passion for innovative and progressive production practices
We’re hiring a Sow Farm Manager to join our team. In this role, you will be managing a 1,500 head sow farm and a team of six employees. You will be responsible for the overall performance of the sow operation and managing day-to-day operations in order to produce healthy weaned pigs for our finishing sites. You will be responsible for developing and implementing processes that improve herd health & efficiency of operations, maintain a safe and productive work area, and promote a culture that fosters communication and innovation among your team. This role balances being a hands-on manager in the barn with your team along with analyzing data and forecasting production in the office.
We offer a competitive salary, medical and dental insurance, SIMPLE IRA plan with company match, three weeks PTO per year, reimbursement for professional development seminars and industry conferences, and the chance to work with an experienced, high-performing team.
Our ideal candidate brings:
- 5+ years experience in sow farm management; experience with open pen gestation and electronic sow feeders (ESFs) is preferred, but not required
- Proven management ability to lead teams and develop working relationships within all levels of the organization
- A continuous-improvement mindset that seeks to innovate and improve production practices
- The ability to analyze production data, understand what the numbers are saying, and make real-time adjustments accordingly.
- Bachelor’s degree in animal science, agriculture, agri-business or relatable degree
- Ability to develop & participate in weekend work rotation.
- Manage day-to-day operations of our sow farm including managing team members, herd health, breeding, farrowing and pig flow
- Maintain bio-security protocols and strict animal welfare standards
- Ensure that the capacity of existing facilities are fully utilized and assist in planning future expansions
- Oversee internal gilt development and manage gilt inventory
- Facilitate weekly team meetings and employee feedback sessions
- Foster a culture of innovation, collaboration, and team building
- Provide input to owners on future cap-ex purchases and suggested protocol changes (role reports directly to Owners)
- Build and maintain relationships across the organization and with outside vendors
- Promote a culture of professional development by coaching and training team members to develop new skills
- Develop processes and procedures to fully utilizing mobile production software in order to analyze and project production numbers and provide feedback on current production
- Develop reports on performance and future production forecasts and review regularly with Owners