Who We Are
West Michigan Bean Co. has processed light red kidney beans in Sheridan, MI for over 30 years. We process over 60,000 cwt of edible beans each year. West Michigan Bean is owned by a group of growers that have come together to provide our customers with high-quality edible beans.
As a General Manager/ Processing Site Manager you will individually run the processing facility located in Sheridan (40 miles NE of Grand Rapids). You will be solely handling every aspect of the plant from ensuring quality, sourcing other edible bean varieties, food safety, performing maintenance to purchasing equipment and supplies.
There will be cross-training with the current Manager as he moves into retirement.
Compensation highly dependent upon experience with bonus potential. Base salary DOE $45K plus.
This job is for you if
- You have experience in agriculture, farming and/or food processing (preferred)
- You are mechanically inclined with the ability to conduct equipment repair
- You thrive on working in an environment with lots of autonomy and it’s up to you to get the job done
- You thrive with performing a variety of work from being hands on to planning for the future
What you will be doing
- Process delivered beans in a timely matter to meet delivery deadlines with emphasis on excellent quality (mainly deliver to customers in 2,000 lb totes).
- Handle all aspects of operation from drying beans, tracking weights and storage levels in bins.
- Process an excellent quality product so that the West Michigan Bean brand continues to be recognized as a superior product in the market place.
- West Michigan bean is currently handling Light Red Kidney beans, but as a company we continue to look other varieties that the market may pay a premium for.
- Attending industry meetings representing the West Michigan Bean brand and facility to always have the newest information concerning changes in the dry bean industry.
- Explore alternative (better) ways to accomplish tasks.
- Mechanical Maintenance
- Maintain desired stock levels of all repair and stock items
- Schedule repairs – emphasis on having limited down time during harvest
- Maintain records on equipment
- Group Buying /Purchasing
- Maintain necessary levels of supplies for production (i.e.: bags, sewing supplies, bulk bags, pallets, ink, etc.)
- Coordinate group purchasing of bean seed with members
- Maintain necessary insurances (building/property, workers comp, liability)