Engineering and Data Sciences (EngDatSci) is a global group that develops innovative technologies to improve our manufacturing processes working with existing Cargill and customer facilities to drive improved economic and environmental performance. It provides Cargill businesses and customers with novel products and services, distinctive value and growth opportunities. EngDatSci supports activities across the full breadth of Cargill, from new-to-the-world food ingredients, through applying our process modeling, process control and data science capabilities to improving the performance of our current manufacturing assets, and optimizing our supply chain.
The incumbent will be a highly skilled engineer who is enthusiastic about tackling non-traditional process modeling, process control and/or manufacturing data analytics projects. The incumbent for this position needs a fundamental knowledge of process modeling and engineering mathematics, which is applied to improving the performance of agri-food manufacturing facilities.
You will be taking an active role in the highly respected Engineering and Data Sciences team, based in Minneapolis, USA. The ideal candidate has good collaboration and communication skills, broad conceptual strength, and is eager to shape the application of numerical techniques in food and agricultural processes. The ideal candidate is also self-motivated, creative, and able to develop new approaches that address the unique and complex problems that we encounter. You will be challenged to combine fundamental chemical engineering principles and applied mathematics with economic evaluation, continuous improvement and business development. You will also be challenged to work with a variety of different business units and to develop strong relationships in order to ensure realization of value for Cargill.
The employee in this position will be a highly skilled engineer who is enthusiastic about tackling simulation, control and data analysis projects. The employee should have a proven track record of accomplishments in an academic or industrial setting in this space, who is willing to work in a collaborative environment where each project is an opportunity to enhance or develop our toolset. We encourage candidates who have used computationally intensive, engineering focused skills to solve practical problems to apply.
45% Technical Leadership – High Performance Innovation: Work with process engineers and chemists from existing businesses to develop complex process simulations that include the appropriate level of technical and economic detail to describe current operation. Apply these simulations to optimize the productivity and energy consumption of the process; to minimize the variability of production; and to support scale-up, debottlenecking and equipment modification.
30% Technical Leadership – Customer Focused Innovation: Work with engineers, chemists and biologists to develop possible flow sheets for a given new product. Describe new, first time flow sheets in a computer simulation, and develop capital and operating costs estimates, combining uncertainty modeling as appropriate, to identify the best processes to develop further. Develop first principles models to characterize and predict fundamental thermodynamics and kinetics of novel systems, guiding lab analyses and designing experiments.
15% Developing new tools and capabilities – The majority of our modeling toolset is developed in-house. You will be able to utilize and combine numerical, computational, and engineering skills to improve our existing tools and build new ones to our growing suite.
10% Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned .
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering or related degree
- Demonstrated experience with developing and applying advanced equation based modeling tools, such as Chemical Engineering simulation packages or programming skills in Fortran, Visual Basic, C etc.
- Minimum of 3 years relevant experience with PhD in process modeling, 5 years with Masters, or 8 years with Bachelor’s degree.
- A bility to develop business cases and projects that bring value using process modeling concepts
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to build relationships with business clients
- Demonstrated influencing skills
- Ability to be agile and flexible to learn and work in adjacent technical spaces.
- Able to work with limited direct supervision.
- Able to travel 15% of time in U.S. and internationally to support projects
- Advanced degree (PhD or MS) in Chemical Engineering
- Experience in intellectual property management
- Experience using Aspen suite of process modeling tools
- Experience applying process control strategies in a chemical manufacturing environment
- Experience in other equation based modeling tools, such as computational fluid dynamics
- Experience in applying data science to large manufacturing datasets
- Experience in Continuous Improvement, Six Sigma or Lean processes.
- Experience in food-beverage, or biotechnology industry
- Project management skills
- Fluency in a second language (Spanish, Portuguese, etc.)