Join 11,000 employees creating connections to empower agriculture by supporting our cooperative-owners and direct farmer-owners and creating vibrant communities. As one of the nation’s leading cooperatives, we’re always looking for people eager to apply their skills and ideas to drive us forward.
Our teams work together to provide the products, services and expertise farmers and cooperatives need to feed a growing population. Whether you’re looking for a position in a small town or big city, in finance or transportation, agriculture or energy, we invite you to explore the opportunities within CHS.
CHS has an exciting opportunity in our Finance Shared Services Accounting group. We are looking for a Senior Accountant to support the enterprise. This position will play an active role in the month-end close and financial reporting process. The ideal candidate will have excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, and strong analytical, problem-solving, and technical accounting skills with a strong desire to learn. The ability to prioritize, efficiently plan work activities, and be detail and results-oriented is critical to the position.
You will have an opportunity to leverage your experience and skills in performing the following job responsibilities:
- Maintain general ledger accounts and related activities for the production of financial statements and reports
- Reconcile, analyze, and review general ledger accounts in preparation for month-end close process
- Prepare journal entries with review for accuracy and evaluate accounting classifications in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
- Ensure monthly accruals, allocations and other complex journal entries are accurate as new information is obtained
- Prepare, review, and submit documentation in support of external and internal audits
- Perform ad hoc reporting and analysis and investigate issues, providing explanations and interpretation
- Prepare and analyze financial statements, including balance sheets, income statements, consolidated statements and various other accounting statements and reports
- Assist with or lead the month-end and quarter-end close process for assigned business unit or group, understanding, and utilizing the appropriate information systems and technology
- Assist in evaluating, recommending, maintaining, and monitoring appropriate internal controls and related documentation
- Provide coaching or work instruction to lower-level staff
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, or related field
- 5+ years of progressive experience in one or more of the following: Accounting, Finance, Audit, Tax, or Treasury
- Advanced knowledge and direct application of GAAP to include reviewing and preparing general ledger accounts, reviewing complex journal entries for accuracy, and preparing financial statements
- Advanced knowledge of and direct work experience with accounting policies, programs, procedures and practices, financial reporting requirements, budgeting, and forecasting
- Direct experience operating in a strong internal controls environment with demonstrated knowledge of the principles, methods, and techniques for establishing and monitoring effective internal controls activities to ensure the integrity of financial reporting
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel, Word, and Microsoft Power BI or similar advanced reporting tools
- Extensive work experience directly using enterprise resource planning systems (ERP)
- Experience with SAP general ledger and related reporting software
- Ability to:
- Complete assignments independently and handle complex accounting activities
- Solicit support for ideas and provide sound rationale for recommendations
- Work effectively and represent the company's interest with both internal and external stakeholders
- Work effectively in multiple information systems/platforms
- CPA, CMA, or similar professional certification
- Experience with Agriculture and/or Energy industries
CHS Finance Function Competency Model
As part of the CHS Finance community, you will work closely with dedicated finance and accounting professionals committed to ensuring success for the businesses we support. Our Finance Talent Competency Framework promotes high-performance and ongoing development across all Finance roles in five core technical skillsets including: accounting, financial analysis, financial systems, internal controls, and continuous improvement methods. By aligning these competencies to our talent acquisition, talent development, performance management, and recognition and rewards processes, we are building a best-in-class finance organization. With CHS Finance, you will be empowered and challenged to grow your career while working with the best and brightest peers and business partners across the diverse ag and energy businesses of CHS.
CHS offers a competitive total compensation package. Benefits include: Health, Dental, Vision, Hearing, Life Insurance, Health and Day Care Savings Accounts, Paid Vacation , 401K, Company Funded Pension, Profit Sharing, Long and Short Term Disability, Tuition reimbursement, and Adoption assistance. This position will have opportunity for growth.
CHS Inc. is a leading global agribusiness owned by farmers, ranchers and cooperatives across the United States. Diversified in energy, grains and foods, CHS is committed to helping its customers, farmer-owners and other stakeholders grow their businesses through its domestic and global operations. CHS supplies energy, crop nutrients, grain marketing services, animal feed, food and food ingredients, along with insurance, financial and risk management services. The company operates petroleum refineries/pipelines and manufactures, markets and distributes Cenex® brand refined fuels, lubricants, propane and renewable energy products. CHS is an equal opportunity employer/disability/veteran.
The CHS Talent Acquisition Team supports recruitment for positions within CHS as well as finding opportunities for candidates within our robust network of member cooperatives. By submitting an application for any position, you give CHS permission to review your application and contact you to discuss opportunities within our member cooperatives. To explore current openings within our member cooperatives, please click here.
Effective January 6, 2020, the U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) requires employers to conduct a pre-employment verification full query against the newly established License Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse prior to beginning employment in a position that requires a valid commercial driver’s license (CDL). Candidates seeking employment in a position that requires a commercial motor vehicle license must voluntarily enter their information into the FMCSA and must provide disclosure authorization, at the time of offer, to CHS or an authorized third-party agent of CHS to verify information.