We are hiring for a large row crop organization which is expanding its production operations team in Windfall, IN.
As a Seed Technician, you will be involved in all facets of soybean seed production. Unlike a traditional manufacturing role, you will experience a variety of responsibilities throughout the growing season. You will be expected to work a rotating shift schedule including some nights and weekends as required during peak season (October-May).
- Late fall starts our busy season with harvesting and packaging in full swing.
- In the winter, you’ll be packaging, warehousing and shipping seed to ensure our grower customers have the product they need for the coming spring.
- In spring and summer, you could also spend time in the field inspecting, scouting and maintaining our soybean crop and/or performing maintenance on our production equipment.
In this position, you will work closely with other team members to identify ways to improve our processes. We are looking for employees who are passionate about maintaining the highest standards in the industry for safety, seed quality, cost, and supply reliability. This is an opportunity to work in an environment where your ideas are heard and you’re encouraged to grow personally and professionally. The company is committed to recruiting and developing great employees through our team-oriented culture that encourages creativity, decision-making, and entrepreneurial spirit.
Responsibilities of the Position:
- Operate equipment in the production sites and leveraging real-time data to maximize existing procedures. Perform preventive maintenance and inspections; troubleshooting problems associated with equipment, processes, and systems as needed.
- Support areas across the plant in driving the adoption of continuous improvement practices and programs (5s, Lean, Six Sigma) conducive to an organized and clean work environment. Utilize Focused Improvement (e.g., 5WHYs) techniques to initiate process and standard work improvements.
- Provide coaching and training to seasonal workforce, area trainees and peers supporting achievement and personal development.
- Ensure upstream activities (e.g., field inspection, grower contract) are handled within company standards and business requirements.
- Cultivate partnership with key business partners to plant / field operations (e.g., grower network).
- Use SAP to support administrative procedures, documenting key readings, maintenance orders and production information. Maintain key process documentation (operating, start-up and shut-down procedures; standard work; process flow and instrumentation diagrams; etc.).
- Demonstrate knowledge of and adherence to Environmental Safety & Health (ESH) and Quality Assurance/Quality Control (QA/QC) standards (e.g. general shop floor/machine safety and operating procedures).
- Participate and prepare to lead DDS (Daily Direction Setting) meetings as needed; articulating shift objectives and allocating resources accordingly across all active production areas.
- Support and maintain metrics and relevant information on current Visual Management boards to drive teamwork and facilitate shift change over.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Basic knowledge of IT (Internet, Excel, PPT, Word, facilities with systems)
- Valid driver's license. Driving record (MVR) will be reviewed and must meet guidelines based on the company’s Risk Screening for Hiring Drivers.
- Advanced education including Technical, Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree
- Intermediate computer skills with experience using of SAP and PLC
- 3+ years manufacturing experience, with experience in chemical or row crop manufacturing preferred
- Previous experience working in a manufacturing environment with a 24/7 rotating shift schedule, including overtime as needed
- Some Seed Technician positions will involve operating vehicles that would put the driver under DOT/FMCSA jurisdiction. In those situations, candidate must be able to meet all applicable DOT/FMCSA criteria, which will include passing a DOT physical.
Compensation is based on experience and includes a complete benefits package including:
- Medical (4 package options to meet your needs), vision, dental, and life insurance
- 13-14 paid holidays
- 2 weeks’ vacation (4 weeks in your 3rd year of employment)
- Savings and Investment Plan: including a 401k match and an additional company-provided core retirement benefit
- Health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- 20 days of parental leave for birth or adoption of a child (additional maternity leave/FMLA and adoption assistance)
- Relocation assistance for this role