We are a team-oriented company with a high trust, entrepreneurial culture. We value our employees’ opinions, we have a strong work ethic, and are focused on growing great vegetables and developing our operations profitably. People who are most successful at CSS Farms are energetic, self-directed, and pragmatic.
Working with the support of the agronomy and farm operations teams, this position will manage 600 acres of potato seed. This position directly manages the Storage Manager, Equipment Manager, seasonal farm labor and administrative staff.
The primary responsibility of this position is to efficiently manage the farm operations to ensure excellent customer and vendor satisfaction so the site is able to meet financial goals and objectives by:
Provide oversight and leadership to all potato production activities
- Lead all field operations, including tillage, planting, cultivation, harvest, and cover crop establishment
- Coordinate agronomic activities, including irrigation, fertilizer applications, and chemical applications
- Oversee potato storage management and potato shipping activities
- Support innovation in agronomic, equipment, and storage practices
Provide general management leadership to the farming operation
- Help build team of full-time employees and manage/motivate all personnel
- Maintain P&L responsibility with significant focus on cost management
- Participate in budgeting and business planning process
- Manage purchasing of supplies, equipment, and inputs.
Grow and maintain positive landlord, customer, and community relations
- Develop relationships with potential landlord base and secure annual land leases
- Manage shipping activities to deliver excellent customer service and quality
- Serve as a positive representative to the community, land partners, and other local suppliers.
Experience and Skills:
- Demonstrated strong work-ethic, outstanding leadership ability and exceptional interpersonal skills
- Bachelors of Science degree in an Ag related field
- Self-directed individual who leads projects to identify and implement solutions with team input
- Demonstrated strategic management of irrigated crops
- Demonstrated financial management experience and budgeting skills
- Adaptability to changing situations and have the ability to perform multiple tasks with multiple priorities
- Proficient in the use of Windows based computer programs (Excel, Access, PowerPoint) and a general aptitude with software systems
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including ability to train and work with operational personnel on the farm
- Superior organizational and project management skills and experience leading and managing people
- Ability to acquire and hold a valid US driver’s license and successfully pass vehicle insurance verification
- Ability to comprehend, read, write and communicate proficiently in English and interact with all levels of the organization.
- Bilingual in English/Spanish
- Previous experience working with potatoes and irrigated crops.
- In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
- Market competitive salary
- Healthcare, Dental and Vision coverage as outlined in the company benefits overview.
- Flex spending account for out-of-pocket medical expenses.
- 401(k) plan options.
- Short Term Disability Insurance, Long Term Disability Insurance, and Life Insurance.
- A paid time off package.
- Tuition reimbursement options.
CSS Farms is an EOE.
CSS Farms expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.