CSS Farms, a multi-state agricultural business, strives to provide innovative solutions and superior quality and service to our customers. We proudly and relentlessly continue to meet the highest standards of stewardship when it comes to the three things we value most: our land, our employees, and our communities.
We are a team-oriented company with a high trust, entrepreneurial culture. We value our employees’ opinions, we have a strong work ethic, and are focused on growing great vegetables and developing our operations profitably. People who are most successful at CSS Farms are energetic, self-directed, and pragmatic.
The Irrigation Specialist II works with the Irrigation Manager, Farm Manager, Chemical Manager and Crop Specialist to effectively manage irrigation of approximately 9,000 acres of ground for potatoes, onions and various vegetables, annually.
In this role, you will:
- Maintain a record of and execute the irrigation schedule as efficiently as possible.
- Maintain irrigation equipment, repairing as needed and alerting the irrigation manager of major malfunctions.
- Assist irrigation manager in maintaining proper moisture levels at all times by verifying:
- All irrigation systems are installed in a way that hold the irrigation pattern described in the irrigation plan.
- All planted areas have proper coverage, including the overlap, for optimum germination and growth.
- Sprinkler units, metering devices and pressure gauges on the system are functional.
- Use and maintain all personal protection equipment (PPE) recommended for each work situation.
- Start chemigation on prescribed schedules.
- Perform winter preventative maintenance of irrigation systems.
- Assist with winter time capital improvement projects such as pipeline installations, electrical/communications installations, replacement pivots, and facility modifications
- Mentor less experienced members of the irrigation team.
- Exercise respect and professionalism when working with land owners and other staff.
- Take on other tasks and responsibilities, as needed.
- Walking and working outdoors in the elements.
- Operate a motorized vehicle, control panel, telephone/radio and variety of hand tools.
- Walk across uneven surfaces in fields and outdoor work areas continuously (67% to 100%).
- Climb stairs and ladders occasionally (0%-33%)
- Work at heights up to 25 feet.
- Regularly handling objects of up to 65 lbs.
- Stand for extended periods of time (30 minutes at a time 8 hours per shift)
- Occasionally bend, reach, reach above shoulders, squat, kneel for 15 minutes, push or pull up to 50 lbs, twist/rotate arm, wrist and torso, and crawl 20 feet.
- Occasionally perform fine manipulations with hands and fingers.
Expected Hours of Work
- Typical, daily farm hours are 7 AM to 5 PM, Monday through Friday.
- Irrigation seasons are busy and may require longer hours and weekends.
- A valid US driver’s license or the ability to acquire one and pass vehicle insurance verification.
- A high school diploma or equivalent.
- 6+ years’ experience working with farm equipment and crop production.
- 4+ years’ experience with irrigation programs including center pivot irrigation.
- Previous experience working with potatoes, onions or other specialty crops.
- A valid PAC (Private Applicator Certificate) or the ability to obtain one, as well as other relevant pesticide application certificates.
- Proficiency in operating electronic devices as they relate to irrigation telemetry control.
- A strong work-ethic, and a can-do attitude.
- Solid problem-solving skills and a desire to be in a self-directed role.
- The ability to prioritize and re-prioritize, as needed in an ever-changing environment.
- Live within a 30 mile radius of your assigned fields.
- In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
- CSS Farms is an EOE
- CSS Farms expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.