AIR Worldwide (AIR), a Verisk business, provides risk modeling solutions that make individuals, businesses, and society more resilient to extreme events. In 1987, AIR Worldwide founded the catastrophe modeling industry and today models the risk from natural catastrophes, terrorism, pandemics, casualty catastrophes, and cyber attacks, globally. Insurance, reinsurance, financial, corporate, and government clients rely on AIR’s advanced science, software, and consulting services for catastrophe risk management, insurance-linked securities, site-specific engineering analyses, and agricultural risk management. AIR Worldwide, is headquartered in Boston with additional offices in North America, Europe, and Asia. To learn more about AIR, please visit us at:www.air-worldwide.com. We are proud to be a part of the Verisk family of companies!
At the heart of what we do is help clients manage risk. Verisk (Nasdaq: VRSK) provides data and insights to our customers in insurance, energy and the financial services markets so they can make faster and more informed decisions.
Our global team uses AI, machine learning, automation, and other emerging technologies to collect and analyze billions of records. We provide advanced decision-support to prevent credit, lending, and cyber risks. In addition, we monitor and advise companies on complex global matters such as climate change, catastrophes, and geopolitical issues.
But why we do our work is what sets us apart. It stems from a commitment to making the world better, safer and stronger.
It’s the reason Verisk is part of the UN Global Compact sustainability initiative. It’s why we made a commitment to balancing 100 percent of our carbon emissions. It’s the aim of our “returnship” program for experienced professionals rejoining the workforce after time away. And, it’s what drives our annual Innovation Day, where we identify our next first-to-market innovations to solve our customers’ problems.
At its core, Verisk uses data to minimize risk and maximize value. But far bigger, is why we do what we do.
At Verisk you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create positive and lasting impact on business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. We have received the Great Place to Work® Certification for the fifth consecutive year. We’ve been recognized by Forbes as a World’s Best Employer and a Best Employer for Women, testaments to our culture of engagement and the value we place on an inclusive and diverse workforce. Verisk’s Statement on Racial Equity and Diversity supports our commitment to these values and affecting positive and lasting change in the communities where we live and work.
Join our growing Research department as a member of our dynamic agricultural risk modeling team. Use your demonstrated knowledge of meteorological processes, and their modeling, to develop new and improved indices and mathematical process representations (models) of environmental stresses on key components of agricultural systems within a framework of stochastic modeling of crop and/or livestock productivity and insurance losses. You will work with the team to develop, improve, and deploy models across spatial scales from individual fields/farms to whole countries, and over temporal scales from a day through to thousands of years as represented in probabilistic models of agroecosystems and the meteorological factors that can damage those systems. As a member of this collegial team, you will incorporate up-to-date scientific knowledge, data, and modeling approaches into our existing agricultural risk models as well as contribute to development and testing of new crop and livestock models and their deployment into new regions.
Main responsibilities, but not limited to:
- Integrate meteorological principles and new data into AIR’s agricultural risk models and explain changes seen in modeled results.
- Critically analyze the quantitative and qualitative suitability of historic and stochastic weather datasets used as input to AIR’s agricultural risk models.
- Improve stochastic weather datasets used as input to AIR’s new and existing agricultural risk models, i.e., improve temporal and spatial characteristics of the magnitude and variability of air temperature, precipitation, wind speed, and other key meteorological variables affecting agricultural systems.
- Develop and test damage functions relating crop and/or livestock losses (e.g., crop yield reduction or livestock mortality) to meteorological factors.
- Prepare accurate and effective technical and nontechnical documents describing modeling progress and results.
- Present research and modeling results to coworkers, company management, and clients.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities:•
- Strong domain knowledge of climate/weather data and modeling, including boundary layer processes and micrometeorology over land surfaces. Experience with atmospheric general circulation model applications and/or weather forecasting models in an environmental or agricultural research environment is a plus.
- Solid programming skills gained through practical experience using interpreted and/or compiled programming languages. Experience with the interpreted language R a plus.
- Strong mathematical or statistical experience with applications to agricultural and/or environmental sciences.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience using and managing large datasets. SQL and/or ArcGIS experience a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new concepts and skills and to meet project objectives and deadlines.
- General knowledge of probabilistic modeling and experience with applications to (re)insurance a plus.
- Knowledge of climate change science a plus.
- Experience interacting with professional clients a plus
- Ph.D. in (agricultural) meteorology, crop modeling, or related discipline with 2+ years professional experience in a research/technical environment.
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran’s status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.
Consumer Privacy Notice