The incumbent will be a highly skilled engineer who is enthusiastic about tackling non-traditional simulation, control and data analysis projects. The incumbent for this position needs a fundamental knowledge of process modeling, statistical analysis, control systems and plant instrumentation, which is applied to improving the performance of agri-food manufacturing facilities.
You will be taking an active role in the highly respected Engineering and Data Sciences team, based in Minneapolis, USA. The ideal candidate has good collaboration and communication skills, broad conceptual strength, and is eager to shape the application of numerical techniques in food and agricultural processes. The ideal candidate is also self-motivated, creative, and able to develop new approaches that address the unique and complex problems that we encounter. You will be challenged to combine fundamental chemical engineering principles and applied mathematics with economic evaluation, continuous improvement and business development. You will also be challenged to work with a variety of different business units and to develop strong relationships in order to ensure realization of value for Cargill.
Familiarity with developing advanced process control strategies, plant data historian software such as OSIsoft PI and experience deploying Lean Six Sigma/Continuous Improvement projects is a plus. Prior experience with process modeling software, in-line process analytical instrumentation technology, or familiarity with multivariate data analysis is also desired.
30% – Improving the sustainability of existing manufacturing processes: You will have the opportunity to impact business, economic and environmental bottom line by improving plant performance in areas such as yield, capacity, resource utilization, and environmental footprint. You will be exposed to the full range of unit operations that Cargill and our customers operate – from continuous chromatography to liquid-liquid extraction, from biocatalysis to polymerization, from reactive crystallization to three-phase condensation.
30% – Designing new industrial scale processes: You will have the opportunity to participate in multi-disciplinary teams and provide process development for new unit operations, integrated processes and innovative products and services. You will be involved with different business units and functions within Cargill and be exposed to the breadth of Cargill offerings, including new food and feed ingredients, bio-based industrial materials and customer solutions.
20% – Providing modeling, process control, data analytics or other engineering expertise to Cargill production excellence projects.
10% – Developing new tools and capabilities: The majority of our modeling toolset is developed in-house. You will be able to utilize and combine numerical, computational, and engineering skills to improve our existing tools and build new ones to our growing suite.
10% – Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemical or Biochemical Engineering or related area (Master’s or PhD highly preferred)
- First principles-based chemical process modeling experience (whole-process or detailed unit operation)
- Demonstrated facility with applied computing (e.g. Chemical Engineering simulation packages or programming languages such as Fortran, Matlab, Visual Basic or C)
- Strong knowledge of process engineering fundamentals and unit operations
- Ability to operate independently and effectively in a multidisciplinary team
- Ability to build relationships and apply influencing skills with a diverse array of both technical and non-technical people
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Willingness to travel up to 15% of the time
- Ability to successfully work in a manufacturing environment
- Experience applying process control strategies in a chemical manufacturing environment
- Experience in facilitation of Continuous Improvement events such as Kaizen, Six Sigma or Lean processes.
- Experience with linear programming optimization techniques.
- Experience with statistical data analysis of large datasets, machine learning, etc.
- Experience with agri-food/biochemical/fermentation processes
- Previous experience/education with conceptual design and/or optimization of chemical manufacturing processes
- Demonstrated initiative and business/project management skills
- Fluency in a second language (Spanish, Portuguese, or other )