BioWorks Inc. With headquarters in Victor, New York, BioWorks has been a leader in providing environmentally responsible, safe, and effective biologically-based pest control and plant nutrition products for the horticulture, turf, and specialty agriculture markets for more than 20 years. Together, with our team of experts, our customers are enhancing conventional programs as well as developing leading edge pest control and plant health programs.
We are hiring a full time QC Laboratory Technician for our headquarters in Victor, NY. The QC Laboratory Technician is directly responsible and accountable for various levels of QA, QC, and product/process development. They will conduct laboratory experiments to evaluate new technologies and optimize current processes.
Along with their core responsibilities they will also participate in developing, supporting and accomplishing the departmental/company operating activities, along with primary and secondary goals of the company.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Actively participates in promoting, supporting and enhancing our Core Purpose, Core Values and Company Culture
- Maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner that promotes cooperation with customers, collaborators, co-workers and management.
- Participates in consistent Coaching Sessions in support with BioWorks Coaching process
- Demonstrates a high degree of engagement
Strategy & Execution
- Learn and follow all established protocols and experimental procedures
- Prepare and assay customer samples
- Sample and test VSC’s, CFU’s, and contamination levels at various stages of T22 & G41 production
- Generate reports on QA and QC testing
- Manage project studies by:
- executing work plans and revising as necessary to address changing needs and requirements;
- assisting in the design and planning of projects;
- identifying needed resources and expertise and requesting them through the proper procedures and channels
- Working with supervisor, initiate optimization experiments
- Collect and summarize experimental data; when appropriate, make recommendations to supervisor
- Regular lab maintenance
- Preparing media, cleaning glassware, equipment, dilution tubes, lab cleaning
- Maintain accurate records of procedures and experimental results
- Maintain and calibrate laboratory equipment
- Backfill in production when needed
- Help monitor the growing process
- Check temperatures at various intervals and make changes to maintain growing optimization
- Audit line activities to make sure they’re in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures
- Report any discrepancies immediately to supervisor
- Perform other duties as required by supervisor
- As a team player, may to need assist production team in the course of their work from time to time.
- Fully embraces Great Game of Business (“GGOB”), Scaling Up and all other activities related to financial transparency and information sharing.
Essential Qualifications – Education, Experience, Skills:
- Education – Bachelor of Science degree.
- Experience – Minimum 3 year professional experience working in a QC environment.
- Complexity of Work & Decision Making – A variety of non-routine duties, not necessarily related, that require considerable judgement to work independently.
- Accountability – Objectives defined but with broad and varying policies, procedures, rules or precedents. Employee plans own work while given some functional guidance by supervisor. Unusual and unique situations are referred to the supervisor.
- Consequence of Errors – Probable errors may be detectable but are significant if not.
- Most of work not subject to direct verification or check. Effect of errors usually confined within the organization.
- Customer Interactions – Regular contact with various levels of staff or other departments, furnishing or obtaining information. Contact may involve discussion of controversial issues; or contacts with external people where improper handling may affect results but the primary responsibility rests with the next higher level of supervision.
- Supervision Provided – Collects or processes information or data and provides functional advice and guidance to individuals inside the immediate work area related to standard practices. Some evaluation or originality is required.
- Environment & Use of Equipment Machinery – Normal working conditions with occasional exposure to noise, dust, and/or heat, etc. Operates or uses moderately complex office and lab/biological equipment, machinery or tools.
- Demonstrated expertise and proficiency with basic office computer software, e.g. word processing, excel spreadsheets and email. Ability to train others.
- Ability to learn and to follow directions without direct oversight.
- Ability to work well with peers and management personnel.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to operate and train personnel in the proper use of lab equipment.
- Treats all Team members and customers with dignity, respect and courtesy
Essential Values & Guiding Principles: (for all employees; all of equal importance)
- OUR TEAM, ONE COMPANY
- WE HONOR OUR COMMITMENTS
- WE HAVE THE RIGHT CONVERSATIONS
- OUR CUSTOMERS’ SUCCESS IS OUR SUCCESS
- Ability to lift 25kg, 5kg repetitively
- Stamina/endurance to perform physical functions of job throughout the day
- Computer keying repetitive motions
- Possible eye strain
- May require flexibility in scheduling to satisfy project and customer needs