There are two positions available on the Marlinton/White Sulphur Ranger District of the Monongahela National Forest. One is located in Marlinton, WV. The other is located in Elkins WV.
These positions provide technical assistance in engineering programs.
- Use stake-out notes to mark right-of way clearing limits.
- Analyze and present engineering data for design and construction projects in accordance with established methods.
- Operate manual and electronic recording measuring devices and report inadequacies to survey team lead.
- Conduct traverse surveys using a wide range of tools to estimate areas for excavation, layout center lines of roads, or to keep field books.
- Perform a variety of standardized engineering tests such as identifying soil types or determining lines and grades for gravel roads to ensure specifications and materials are adequate for projects.
- Perform basic computations for design estimates, construction volumes, road alignments, or basic survey computations.
- Use elementary algebra and geometry to analyze data and prepare computations.
- Calculate earthwork quantities by hand or using design software to determine volumes for cost estimates for construction activities.
Occasional travel – Occasional travel for trainings or meetings may be required. In addition, the incumbents will be traveling between different locations, forest-wide, on a daily basis, during the work day.