This position is located on the Kenton-Ontonagon/Bergland Ranger Districts of the Ottawa National Forest in Kenton, MI.
This position is is responsible for performing technical duties in timber stand improvement, reforestation, and tree improvement.
- Responsibilities are listed at the full performance level.
- Collect technical data needed to prescribe stand treatment, to include measurements such as radial growth, basal area, site index, stand density, stand condition, etc.
- Perform TSI ( timber stand improvement) surveys to determine stand conditions and the need for TSI treatments, such as pre-commercial thinning, mistletoe treatment, pruning, and fertilization.
- Identify situations where specific silviculture prescriptions do not fit ground conditions.
- Serve as COR (Contracting Officer Representative) or inspector on reforestation, timber stand improvement, planting and/or timber marking contracts.
- Ensure all timber contract provisions are enforced and proper measures are taken to protect and enhance resource values.
- Prepare and submit timber contract inspection reports, check for compliance on needed corrective actions, and recommend final acceptance of the contract upon completion.
- Develop the schedule and work plans for monitoring and inspecting timber stand improvement and reforestation activities.
- Determine planting needs, need for site preparation, plantation conditions, and seedling survival.
- Based on field analysis, assist in preparation of the technical specifications for TSI (timber sale improvement) , tree planting, brush release, or animal damage control contracts.
- Maintain records of timber stand improvement and reforestation program accomplishments in vegetation database and assist with related reports.
Occasional travel – Occasional travel for training or meetings may be required.