As an Animal Health Technician, you will perform technical and specialized work related to the Cattle Fever Tick Eradication Program in Veterinary Services, Field Operations. This includes inspection of animals for fever ticks, scabies, or screwworm infestation, conducting complex investigations of possible illegal movement or smuggling of livestock, and other conditions.
Learn more about this agency
- The duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Assists Veterinary Medical Officers with inspection and testing of livestock, poultry, and other avian species on ranches, farms, auctions, markets, etc., to detect animal diseases and parasites.
- Supervises the livestock owner’s cleaning and disinfection of vehicles and premises which may be contaminated by disease organisms.
- Investigates reports of communicable diseases of livestock.
- Provides program information regarding preventive measures to nearby livestock owners.
- Supervises livestock owner’s disposition of diseased animals.
- Prepares certificates granting approval of movements of disease-free, infected, or exposed livestock.
25% or less – You may be expected to travel for this position.