These positions are located in the Pacific Southwest Region 5, Angeles National Forest, San Gabriel Mountains National Monument located in Glendora, CA.
The primary purpose of the position is the dissemination of information and interpretative assistance to the public through various means.
- Ensure the information desk at a reception area and/or visitor center is covered at all times by answering phones and greeting visitors.
- Respond to a variety of inquiries in order to provide the most appropriate information including security and/or safety procedures.
- Provide guidance to the public on rules and/or regulations regarding on-unit activities.
- Serve as collection officer through sales and collection of monies for timber permits, maps, and/or passes in accordance with manual and handbook requirements.
- Provide interpretive answers to a wide variety of visitor interests.
- Plan and/or present interpretive talks and programs for visitors, local schools, and other groups.
- Use a variety of tools, such as drawings, activity specific tools, and/or audio/visual equipment as interpretive aids for presentations.
- Provide accurate, descriptive information to the public about trails, campgrounds, roads, and/or other areas on the unit.
- Coordinate with staff specialists and public affairs office to provide the latest, most accurate and appropriate information to the public.
- Assist visitors and callers with informational searches and/or use of a reference library.
- Use word processing software to create and/or post informational handouts and flyers concerning safety, events, and other items of importance.
- Work with public affairs or other staff specialist to ensure current and accurate information is available on the agency?s external website.
- Update information on agency?s external website related to road and recreation closures.
- Respond to and/or direct web and email inquiries to the appropriate personnel.
- Use a variety of office and computer equipment to accomplish project and unit goals.
Occasional travel – You may be expected to travel for this position.