This position is located at the Agricultural Research Service (ARS), Foreign Disease-Weed Science Research Unit (FDWSRU), on Fort Detrick, in Frederick, MD.
The primary responsibility of the incumbent is the discovery and acquisition of plant pathogens for weed management, evaluation of candidate pathogen agents, and developing new methods for effective microbially-based weed control strategies.
Learn more about this agency
- Develop plant pathogens as biological control agents for invasive weeds in the United States.
- Identify pathogens, characterize the nature and extent of disease in target and non-target plants.
- Identify the molecular/physiological nature of susceptibility and resistance responses in the tested species.
- Determine pathogen host range using statistically sound experimental analyses that combine knowledge in phylogenetic relatedness, plant physiology, and phenotypic disease response data.
- Develop risk assessments and proposals for weed biological control agent release to state and federal regulatory agencies.
Occasional travel – You may be expected to travel for this position.