The Martin Family Farm is located in Armada, Michigan. We’re offering a 2021 Internship on our organic vegetable farm for the upcoming 2021 season. This is a unique opportunity for a person passionate about organic farming, as the selected applicant will learn every aspect of what it takes to run a successful organic vegetable farm from buying the seeds to marketing one’s crops.
The Martin Family Farm is USDA certified organic and operates on 21 acres, with about 8 to10 acres in vegetable production each season. It also has five cold frame greenhouses, encompassing 9500 square feet. Our season runs from April 1st to November 25th.
Our farm currently has 170 CSA customers, and that number will increase to 220-250 in 2021. We also provide vegetables for two large grocery stores, restaurants, and a large juice company.
Applicant work experience and skills needed include:
- outstanding work ethic, including a willingness to work occasional long hours and some weekend days
- valid driver’s license and a good driving record
- ability to lift 50lbs +
- tractor and farm equipment operation experience (this could be acquired on the job)
- desire to acquire on-the-job training on all aspects of running a successful organic farm in hopes of someday
- owning one’s own farm
- skills in maintaining and updating websites
I have 16 years’ experience owning and operating a USDA certified organic vegetable farm, and I have worked closely with Michigan State University’s Organic Farm Program over those years. The biggest benefit of this internship will be the mentoring and training the selected applicant will receive.
Skills gained will include:
- The ins and outs of organic certification (you will also be present during my USDA annual certification process)
- Drip Irrigation/irrigation planning and implementing
- Plastic mulch laying and transplanting
- Cold frame greenhouse planting, scheduling, maintaining including pest and disease management
- Fertilization needs/compost tea for healthy plants
- Sales/customer relations
- How to run a large weekly CSA
- Managing a heated greenhouse for seed propagation.
The selected intern will be paid a fair hourly rate for actual hours worked on my farm and hours and days will vary. If needed, I will assist the successful applicant in finding housing.
Learn more at themartinfamilyfarm.com, or on Facebook at The Martin Family Farm Capac MI.
If you are interested, contact Matt Martin (Farmer Matt) at email@example.com. Please include a resume and letter of interest. I will be setting up telephone interviews for qualified applicants in the late summer and early fall. Please contact ASAP, but no later than November 1, 2020.