SPECIFIC INFORMATION: (Vineland County)
Food Inspector (Imports), GS-1863-09, SJ-542
Establishment: I10-Atlantic Coast Freezers LLC
Work Schedule: 1st Shift, Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Position rotates every four months with two other assignments in Mullica Hill, NJ and another assignment in Vineland, NJ
GS-09: $57,508 to $74,762
- You will serve as an import food inspector in the Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS), in a location where quantities of meat and poultry products imported into the United States are presented for re-inspection.
- Monitor and enforce food security requirements at sites where import inspection is conducted to detect conditions that threaten the imported food supply and present a risk of national security.
- Verify the accuracy of labels and foreign health certificates; examines products and containers to determine if the imported food is sound, wholesome, unadulterated, and otherwise meets U.S. requirements.
- Receive and process either paper or electronic health certificates from foreign countries; makes initial data entries in the Public Health Information System (PHIS).
- Collects, prepares and ships samples for laboratory examination. Samples are selected according to a computer prescribed ?inspection assignment? and statistical sampling techniques.
- Issues notification to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), brokers, importers, etc. of products refused entry into the United States; assures such products are controlled and properly secured.
- Coordinates with other Federal agencies (e.g., the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) and CBP on such matters as animal health restriction and refused entry lots.
- Ensures accurate shipment data entry into the Automated Import Information System, along with complete inspection results. Prepares periodic reports of inspection activities; receives, reviews, and processes required certifications.
- Assures that products approved for import are in full compliance with all applicable Federal regulations governing the importation of meat and poultry products.
- Authorizes entry of all meat or poultry products considered to comply with Federal regulations or refuses entry of any products which violate any of the requirements for admission into this country.
Occasional travel – You may be expected to travel for this position.