Gernaat Dairy is a family-owned, 3,000-head dairy located in Falmouth, MI (20 miles east of Cadillac, MI). We pride ourselves on operating a progressive dairy farm offering high quality milk to our customers. Our team prides itself on working together to be a solid, efficient, positive, and well-organized team.
We are currently hiring a Livestock Technician – Dairy Calving Specialist to work our overnight shift from 5pm – 5am. In this position you will be responsible for observation and delivery of all calves and wellbeing of all animals calving. This position will require the need to observe for any animals calving, follow through with the proper procedures and assist with calving’s when necessary. This individual will be required to participate in by-weekly maternity meetings.
We offer competitive compensation based on experience.
This position is for you if you:
- Have dairy farming, livestock, and/or agriculture background or experience. This is a plus but not necessary as will train the right person.
- Have a willingness to learn and handle cattle in a quiet, calm non-abusive manner.
- Are detail oriented, have strong time management skills, work well under pressure, and able to multi-task.
- Are able to work well independently and as a team player.
What you will be doing:
- Walk pens to monitor pre-fresh cows to identify cows calving
- Move cows to maternity pens following procedure on when to do so.
- Clean feeding and processing equipment
Fresh cow care
- Administer oral treatments.
- Record all necessary information on the calving process
- Milk fresh and treated cows
- Processing new born calves.
- Assistance with delivery when necessary.
- Recording all necessary information on new born calves and the delivery process.
Barn environment tasks
- Cleaning of freshening pens when needed.
- Scraping dry cow barns