Bio-Gro Inc. is seeking an innovative self-starter with a strong mechanical and electrical background to serve as our Lead Operational & Mechanical Technician at our fertilizer granulation pilot facility in Pasco, WA. Reporting to the COO, this individual will be responsible for setting up, optimizing, and testing mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, and pneumatic equipment related to fertilizer coating and granulation processes. Prior fertilizer experience is not required. Mechanical and electrical skills are perfect for this role.
We are an innovative specialty fertilizer company, developing and manufacturing both mineral-based nutrients and organic-based bio stimulants for use in our extensive, crop specific agronomy programs. Foundational to our three step philosophy – Grow Roots, Pump Nutrients, and Drive Photosynthesis – these products help farms around the US and the world produce high quality, high yielding crops while reducing their risk and increasing their profits.
We currently have 3 manufacturing facilities in the US and our aggressive growth plans include expansion of existing sites and establishment of a fertilizer granulation site.
You have strong mechanical inclination, experience with PLC’s and other electrical equipment, and the ability and desire to work independently toward big-picture team goals. You are a problem solver who identifies bottlenecks and barriers and develops innovative solutions. You have experience in manufacturing business and and thrive in an entrepreneurial setting. You have high expectations of yourself and your co-workers and willingly set and accept accountability for targets and deadlines.
- Take the lead on initial setup and installation of pilot equipment at the Pasco, WA facility.
- Coordinate the movement of equipment and materials from our primary facility in Mabton, WA. Document receipt of equipment and resources, manage inventories..
- Install and test mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, and pneumatic equipment according to existing facility plans.
- Troubleshoot operational issues, propose and implement modifications to optimize the facilities operations.
- Coordinate internal resources and third-party or contractors
- Adapt pilot facility to accommodate product testing and experimentation.
- Evaluate existing and prospective equipment for quality/condition and suitability for specific functions and processes
- Work with R&D staff to modify setup and/or operations to facilitate trial projects.
- Oversee operations of equipment during trial work and adjust as necessary.
- Provide input and support to other production sites on areas of personal expertise.
- Within areas of expertise, evaluate equipment for other manufacturing sites, provide support on setup and operation.
- Serve as site safety representative on company safety committee
- Support Procurement/ Purchasing coordinators for capital requirements related to the project.
- Work with other department managers on development projects as time and expertise allow.
- Electrical and mechanical competency – knowledge and experience with mechanical equipment, PLC (programmable logic controller), hydraulics, and pneumatics.
- Strong ability to work independently without supervision.
- Organizational skills – ability to schedule work, coordinate with contractors, manage multiple tasks in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to perform physical work – bending, kneeling, squatting, standing for long periods, lifting (up to 50 lbs)
- Basic – intermediate abilities at Microsoft programs Outlook and Excel. Other computer literacy an asset.
- Valid drivers license.
- Ability to travel to other manufacturing facilities – some overnight travel likely. Up to 10% of time.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Ability to give detailed written reports updating on progress and needs.
- High School diploma or GED a must, Mechanical Journeyman / Vocational Certificate preferred
- Minimum 2 years experience working in an operational or maintenance role.