Essential Job Functions
Supervises Seasonal Employees, Volunteers, Community Service Workers, Apprentice Horticulturists, on an as assigned basis.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Participates in the installation and maintenance of the landscapes at both the Franklin Park and Stone Zoos.
- Participates in all aspects of landscape construction, and exhibit construction, as pertains to the landscape.
- Plants trees, shrubs, groundcovers, flowers, bulbs, seed and sod, as directed.
- Prepares planting areas.
- Installs walls, fences, pathways, irrigation systems and water features, as directed.
- Waters trees, shrubs, ground covers, and flowers utilizing irrigation systems, sprinklers, hoses, or by hand.
- Performs all aspects of plant maintenance including: weeding, dead-heading, pruning, fertilizing, transplanting, dividing, propagation, mulching and winterizing.
- Performs all aspects of grounds maintenance including: raking, sweeping, blowing, trash collection, snow removal, sanding and salting, mowing, edging and grading.
- Operates machinery including: mowers, hedgers, weed-whackers, chainsaws, snow throwers, roto-tillers, skid-steer loaders, backhoe-loaders, tractors and sod cutters.
- Assists in the collection and transport of purchased or donated trees, plants and flowers.
- Assists in the supervision of Community Service groups, Seasonal employees, Volunteers and Interns.
- Monitors Zoo grounds to make sure they are safe, clean, attractive and comfortable for Zoo guests and staff.
- Purchases parts and materials, as directed.
- Interacts with, and answers questions of, Zoo guests. Provides information about the Zoo and acts as a Good-Will Ambassador for the Zoo.
- Operates a two-way radio responsibly and professionally.
- Attends training and education programs and seminars.
- Works outside in all weather.
- Performs related or non-related work as assigned to assure the proper operation of the Zoo.
Minimum Job Requirements
- Some basic knowledge of landscaping and horticultural principles and practices.
- Ability to provide quality customer service to both internal and external customers.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to work under conditions including adverse weather and heights.
- Ability to operate machinery.
- Must be able to lift at least 75 pounds.
- Must have a negative result on a TB test.
- Must have the ability and willingness to work independently and as a team member.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and a good driving record.
- Must be able and willing to work weekends, holidays and overtime, as needed.
- Must have a good work history.
- Ability to perform heavy manual labor.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
Zoo New England is an Equal Opportunity Employer by Choice
Apply for This Job