We are a team-oriented company with a high trust, entrepreneurial culture. We value our employees’ opinions, we have a strong work ethic, and are focused on growing great vegetables and developing our operations profitably. People who are most successful at CSS Farms are energetic, self-directed, and pragmatic.
The Irrigation Technician works with the Irrigation Manager and Farm Manager to effectively manage and optimize irrigation of approximately 1,800 acres of ground for potatoes annually.
In this role, you will:
- Maintain a record of and execute the irrigation schedule as efficiently as possible.
- Maintain irrigation equipment, repairing as needed and alerting the irrigation manager of major malfunctions.
- Assist irrigation manager in maintaining proper moisture levels at all times by verifying:
- All irrigation systems are installed in a way that hold the irrigation pattern described in the irrigation plan.
- All planted areas have proper coverage, including the overlap, for optimum germination and growth.
- Sprinkler units, metering devices and pressure gauges on the system are functional.
- Use and maintain all personal protection equipment (PPE) recommended for each work situation.
- Collect and record data as required for Federal, State, and Company reports.
- Start chemigation on prescribed schedules.
- Assist with winter time capital improvement projects such as pipeline installations, electrical/communications installations, replacement pivots, and facility modifications.
- Provide input to Irrigation Manager for long term planning.
- Mentor less experienced members of the irrigation team.
- Exercise respect and professionalism when working with land owners and other staff.
- Take on other tasks and responsibilities, as needed.
- Operate pumps, booster pumps and pivots to minimize water hammer, avoid low/high pressure failures, and maximize efficiency.
- Perform pump and pivot maintenance as well as winter preventative irrigation system maintenance.
- Walking and working outdoors in the elements.
- Operate a motorized vehicle, control panel, telephone/radio and variety of hand tools.
- Walk across uneven surfaces in fields and outdoor work areas continuously (67% to 100%).
- Climb stairs and ladders occasionally (0%-33%)
- Work at heights up to 25 feet.
- Regularly handling objects of up to 65 lbs.
- Stand for extended periods of time (30 minutes at a time 8 hours per shift)
- Occasionally bend, reach, reach above shoulders, squat, kneel for 15 minutes, push or pull up to 50 lbs, twist/rotate arm, wrist and torso, and crawl 20 feet.
- Occasionally perform fine manipulations with hands and fingers.
Expected Hours of Work
- Typical, daily farm hours are 7 AM to 5 PM, Monday through Friday.
- Irrigation seasons are busy and may require longer hours and weekends.
Experience and Skills:
- A valid US driver’s license or the ability to acquire one and pass vehicle insurance verification.
- A high school diploma or equivalent.
- 6+ years’ experience working with farm equipment and crop production.
- 10+ years’ experience with irrigation programs including center pivot irrigation.
- Previous experience working with potatoes, onions or other specialty crops.
- A valid PAC (Private Applicator Certificate) or the ability to obtain one, as well as other relevant pesticide application certificates.
- Electrical knowledge sufficient to troubleshoot and repair center pivot irrigation and chemigation equipment.
- Proficiency in operating electronic devices as they relate to irrigation telemetry control.
- Previous experience with hydraulic valves and pilot systems for pressure regulation, pressure sustaining, flow control and on/off configurations.
- A strong work-ethic, and a can-do attitude.
- Solid problem-solving skills and a desire to be in a self-directed role.
- The ability to prioritize and re-prioritize, as needed in an ever-changing environment.
- Live within a 30 mile radius of your assigned fields.
- In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
- Market competitive salary
- Healthcare, Dental and Vision coverage as outlined in the company benefits overview.
- Flex spending account for out-of-pocket medical expenses.
- 401(k) plan options.
- Short Term Disability Insurance, Long Term Disability Insurance, and Life Insurance.
- A paid time off package.
- Tuition reimbursement options.
- Opportunities for career advancement in Pasco as well as other CSS Farm locations.
CSS Farms is an EOE