We are a team-oriented company with a high trust, entrepreneurial culture. We value our employees’ opinions, we have a strong work ethic, and are focused on growing great vegetables and developing our operations profitably. People who are most successful at CSS Farms are energetic, self-directed, and pragmatic.
The Irrigation Manager works with the Farm Manager, Agronomist and farm team members to effectively manage and optimize irrigation of approximately 3,000 acres of chip potatoes annually.
In this role, you will:
- Operate, maintain and troubleshoot all irrigation systems, including center pivots, to ensure proper and timely watering is occurring
- Assist with planting and harvesting crops
- Install and maintain remote monitoring/control systems on all pivots
- Analyze and maintain all sprinkler packages
- Apply fertilizers and chemicals with pivot injectors
- Coordinate watering schedules with Farm Manager and Agronomist
- Maintain contact with Agronomist and Farm Manager to assure proper crop health is maintained throughout the entire crop cycle
- Provide timely and accurate crop status reports to the Farm Manager and Agronomist
- Monitor all aspects of mechanical and computer control panels
- Maintain contact with outside groups including other farms, irrigation companies and associated industries
- Provide, in conjunction with the Farm Manager, yearly and long-range planning to meet cost, quality, and service objectives
- Be willing to help other departments (load-out and shop) when not working on irrigation planning and maintenance during winter months
- Take on other tasks and responsibilities, as needed.
Experience and Skills:
- Work out of doors and in the summer and fall weather constantly
- Operate a motorized vehicle, keyboard, control panel, telephone/radio and variety of hand tools
- Walk across uneven surfaces in fields and outdoor work areas continuously (67% to 100%)
- Climb stairs and ladders occasionally (0%-33%)
- Work at heights up to 25 feet
- Frequently (34%-66%) lift and carry 10 lbs.
- Occasionally (0%-33%) lift and carry up to 75 lbs.
- Stand for extended periods of time (30 minutes at a time, 8 hours per shift)
- Occasionally bend, reach, reach above shoulders, squat, kneel for 15 minutes, push or pull up to 50 lbs., twist/rotate arm, wrist and torso, and crawl 20 feet
- Occasionally perform fine manipulations with hands and fingers
- Occasionally perform simple grasping and firm grasping
- See, hear, smell and speak
- A valid US driver’s license or the ability to obtain one and pass vehicle insurance verification.
- At least one year of experience operating and maintaining irrigation systems.
- Associate’s degree in agriculture, electromechanical, electrical, or instrumentation and controls programming or related field
- 5+ years’ experience with irrigation programs including center pivot irrigation
- Previous experience working with potatoes or other specialty crops
- Electrical knowledge sufficient to troubleshoot and repair irrigation and chemigation equipment
- Previous experience with hydraulic valves and pilot systems for pressure regulation, pressure sustaining, flow control and on/off configurations
- Demonstrate proficiency in operating electronic devices as they relate to irrigation telemetry control
- Ability to work extended hours as needed during irrigation season
- Willingness to assist other farm teams for extended hours as required for planting, harvest and shipping
- Proficiency in operating heavy equipment such as: boom truck, loader, telehandler, backhoe, dump truck, forklift, excavator, road graders
- Superior organization and project management skills
- Financial management and budgeting experience
- Demonstrated ability to lead, train, and communicate well.
- Self-directed, yet consensus driven, with the ability to implement solutions with team input.
- In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
- Market competitive salary
- Healthcare, Dental and Vision coverage as outlined in the company benefits overview.
- Flex spending account for out-of-pocket medical expenses.
- 401(k) plan options.
- Short Term Disability Insurance, Long Term Disability Insurance, and Life Insurance.
- A paid time off package.
- Tuition reimbursement options.
CSS Farms is an EOE.
CSS Farms expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.