- Assist in identifying and resolving basic safety issues.
- Utilize computer systems and spreadsheets to analyze, monitor and track safety systems.
- Identify substandard conditions and communicates findings.
- Use fact-based analysis to help identify root causes of safety and industrial hygiene problems or incidents.
- Assist with developing recommendations and monitoring implementations.
- Analyze data and provides comprehensive reports.
- Modify written procedures and programs to meet business unit needs.
- Maintain and ensure appropriate records are compiled in accord with company policies.
- Function as part of a team in all aspects of the business strategy that applicant might be associated with.
- Interact effectively with line management, employees, union personnel, professional staff and regulatory inspectors and builds relationships.
- Assist the CHS Safety Group when working with suppliers and contractor services in supporting company safety initiatives and generating cost avoidance/savings strategies.
- Communicate (when directed) across the CHS business units to share concepts and implementation strategies.
- Plan, organize and prioritize issues impacting the CHS Safety Group.
- Adapt to changing priorities and handle a multitude of tasks
- Be creative and innovative.
- Maintain and promote a strong safety culture and follow all safety policies, procedures and regulations. Identify and communicate workplace hazards and correct or seek assistance in correcting unsafe actions or conditions.
Basic Qualifications: (required)
- Currently a Junior or Senior enrolled in a Bachelor’s Degree program in Safety Engineering and/or Safety Management at an ABET accredited four-year college/university.
- Must be able to work 40 hours per week.
- Ability to wear personal protective equipment, including respirators.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
Preferred Qualifications: (desired)
- Previous internship experience in the petrochemical or refining industry.
- Experience or training in the analysis of regulatory and legislative standards and policies.
- Basic knowledge in the following areas:
- Federal, State & Local safety, health & medical standards.
- Engineering concepts to control safety & health hazards.
- Safety management systems and their interaction with corporate business systems.
- Chemical and physical hazards and the toxicological implications on human health.
- Human factors engineering and its application to safety processes.
- Safety equipment, safety devices and control technologies.
CHS is a diversified Fortune 100 company providing essential grain, food and energy resources to businesses and consumers. CHS is a cooperative system owned by farmers, ranchers and their local coopera