The Ag Operations Intern will help support the department by coordinating and collecting production data to develop a bridge from theoretical yields to actual yields on a field basis for carton and value-added lettuce and romaine. The intern will also work closely with Dole grower’s thinning crews to capture data for optimum timing of thinning lettuce and romaine to achieve the lowest cost and highest quality scenario.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS/DUTIES OF THE POSITION
- Work closely with Ag Management to help support the operation with coordinating field data for lettuce and romaine fields.
- Work closely with the Thinning Foreman to track desired spacings and plant populations.
- Develop field tracking notes for pre and post thinned fields.
- Report weekly summaries of findings in the field.
- Track dedicated fields for data collection from planting to harvest.
- Compose and analyze findings to present to Ag Operations leadership team.
- Other duties as assigned
- 2020 – 2021 part-time internship (ends March 2021).
- Paid internship.
- No housing assistance provided.
- Bi-lingual, Spanish/English is preferred
- Knowledge of General Farm Operations, Ag Science, Ag Business, Horticultural
- Organizational Skills, Computer Skills, Communication Skills
- Valid California driver’s license
- Ability to maneuver around an array of equipment, bend, stoop, climb stairs, climb on and off harvesting equipment, lift up to 25 pounds
- Ability to work in various weather conditions
- Ability to walk in uneven ground
WORK HOUR REQUIREMENT
- 20 – 25 hour workweek, no overtime expected
- Travel to and from the Yuma Dole Ag Operations office to various field locations in the Yuma and Imperial Valley area’s in a Dole vehicle
- Periodic use of Dole vehicle; vehicle not permitted to be taken overnight
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATION
- Fall 2020 rising Senior majoring in Ag Science, Crop Science, Ag Business, Ag Engineering or related degree
- Valid driver’s license
EEO STATEMENT: We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
Job Location Yuma, Arizona, United States Position Type Intern