CSS Farms, a multi-state agricultural business, strives to provide innovative solutions and superior quality and service to our customers. We proudly and relentlessly continue to meet the highest standards of stewardship when it comes to the three things we value most: our land, our employees, and our communities.
We are a team-oriented company with a high trust, entrepreneurial culture. We value our employees’ opinions, we have a strong work ethic, and are focused on growing great vegetables and developing our operations profitably. People who are most successful at CSS Farms are energetic, self-directed, and pragmatic.
The Hydroponic Intern works closely with the Colorado City Greenhouse Team to support and learn hands-on skills related to greenhouse operations. As the Hydroponic Intern, you will gain exposure to all facets of our greenhouse mini-tuber operation through nutrient management of our irrigation zones in a Nutrient Film Technique (NFT) production system, learning greenhouse control systems, research projects, and educational opportunities.
In this role, you will:
- Support the Greenhouse Team with managing nutrients and hydroponic systems for potato mini-tuber production.
- Pest scouting, tissue sampling, crop and irrigation management.
- Participate in data collection of R&D nutrient trials, and evaluation of greenhouse research.
- Gain experience in pesticide programs and planning.
- Give and receive real-time performance feedback to further your growth and leadership development.
- Deliver and present to management a summary of observations from greenhouse production and R&D efforts.
- Observe greenhouse operations as it relates to tissue culture production of potato plantlets, planting, harvesting of mini-tubers, etc.
- Take on other tasks and responsibilities, as needed.
- Walking and working throughout greenhouse conditions.
- Regularly lifting objects of up to 40-50 lbs.
- Stand, walk, crouch, bend at the waist constantly
- Reach overhead with both arms occasionally
- Push carts loaded with nutrients or potatoes up to 100 lbs.
- Strength to turn valves, move hoses, and other related activities
- Fingering, gripping and manipulating fine objects constantly for computer work, inspecting mini-tubers and working with plantlets.
- Sharp eye site constantly to examine plants, mini-tuber diseases and quality issues, using naked eye and laboratory microscope to examine insect pests
Expected Hours of Work
- Start and End Dates are Flexible based on Candidate’s schedule
- Typical, daily hours are 7 AM to 3:30 PM, Monday through Friday, with occasional hours outside this window during peak times.
- Are pursuing an Associates or Bachelor degree in horticulture, crop science or related field.
- Are generally tech savvy and can use basic software systems such Excel, Word.
- Possess excellent organizational and project management skills.
- Are an excellent communicator; asking for and valuing positive and constructive feedback in an effort to grow within your role and career.
- In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
- Receive a competitive pay package.
- Get reimbursement for eligible travel expenses.
- Participate in real-world applications of Hydroponic Greenhouse Production from a leading, US potato company.
- Make valuable contacts within the industry who can assist you with your career development, now and in the future.
- Gain an understanding of our NFT greenhouse operation including potato mini-tuber production, employee management, and greenhouse control systems by spending time with site General Manager, as well as Lab, Production and Post-Production Managers.
CSS Farms is an EOE.
CSS Farms expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.