WE STARTED FIFTH SEASON TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE — here in Pittsburgh, and around the world. But we need help. You can’t change a system without passionate people and good old-fashioned elbow grease. At Fifth Season, we harness the power of robotics and AI and combine it with cutting-edge grow science to create a new standard for sustainable fresh leafy greens. That’s a big idea, but we’ve gotten there in small, hard-earned steps. That’s how we do things. We commiserate and iterate, then we proliferate.
Join our team as a Head Grower in our vertical farming facility in Pittsburgh, PA. In this role, you will be overseeing the seeding, cultivation, and harvesting of all produce. You will tour the biodomes often to check the health of plants and use extensively a software program to ensure correct climate and fertigation are being achieved according to the needs of the crops being grown. You will carry a strong IPDM program in the facility, if pests or diseases are found, you will utilize the guidelines of the program and decide on the action to be taken. Enjoy working cross-functionally with constant communication with other departments, such as Grow R&D team (to ensure improvements, new techniques or changes on any grow recipes are done as soon as possible to achieve the best results) and SCM (for produce demand and supplies needed). Other duties will be assigned, as necessary.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Monitor growing conditions and cultivation procedures to ensure high quality of final product
- Maintain the practices of integrated pest and disease management program (IPDM)
- Train growing staff and other personnel, as needed
- Keep track of KPIs and other important growing objectives
- Help ensure Food Safety Program policies are being followed
- Bachelor's degree in Horticulture, Controlled Environment Agriculture (CEA), Aquaponics or similar
- Experience as a Grower growing hydroponic crops for 2+ years
- Experience with IPDM Programs and biological controls
- Hyper-vigilant and detail-oriented to ensure top quality plants
- Able to effectively communicate with all types of staff, upper management, and HQ employees
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to plan, organize, prioritize, and accurately follow through on work activities with time constraints and interruptions to meet deadlines.
- Flexibility to adjust to shifting priorities and deadlines.
- The environment includes refrigerated RTE, harvesting and packing areas where the temperature averages 35°F
- Position requires sitting, standing, walking, and bending on a regular basis. Limited kneeling, squatting, and crawling required
- Visual and audio sensory are needed regularly
- Must have manual dexterity to perform computer skills
- Able to manage multiple tasks in a timely manner
- Ability to be flexible with shifting priorities