Greenfield Global is a leading producer and supplier of high-value, mission-critical raw materials, ingredients, and additives that are vital to businesses and integral to a lower-carbon economy. From start-ups to the largest brands in the world, customers trust Greenfield’s extensive portfolio of premium products, regulatory expertise, and industry-leading service to improve people’s lives and the health of the planet.
We own and operate four distilleries, three specialty chemical manufacturing and packaging plants, and two next-generation biofuel and renewable energy R&D centers. We are the largest producer of ethanol in Canada and the largest corn buyer securing 65 million bushels of grain each year.
We’re hiring for a Grain Sustainability Program Lead to be based in Eastern Ontario and/or Quebec. This is a unique and critical role to our organization where you will be working with our partner grain elevators and their farm customers to ensure compliance with our reduced emissions sustainability programs as well as work towards expanding the program to enroll and onboard new farms. You would manage the International Sustainability and Carbon Certification (ISCC) program as well as the Federal Clean Fuel Standard. The ISCC is critical to our export business to Europe and the data collected and submitted by farms needs to be consistent, accurate and audit ready.
This role is based from your home and mainly focuses on the Eastern Ontario/Western Quebec area including Johnstown and Ottawa, Ontario and Varennes, Quebec with occasional travel to Chatham, Ontario area.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work with the team’s involved in business development projects that require agronomy assistance (ISCC will be a main item) and the Federal Clean Fuel Standard. Note: here we expect to get a higher price for lower CI ethanol
- Develop an agronomist and grain processing program that will lower the carbon intensity of agriculture in Ontario, targeting current and future customers of Greenfield. This will be a partnership with the growers and Greenfield. Program will be aligned with reducing greenhouse gases and reducing global warming
- Agronomist will work with industry leaders across the country to understand emerging farm practices and technologies to reduce carbon intensity of agriculture
- Working with external consultants and the Greenfield’s sustainability team to manage the ISCC and CFS carbon intensity program for corn supply including modeling and audit of results
- Manage and develop relationships with growers and work with them to collect accurate data on all aspects of their operation including soil maps, fertilizer inputs, electricity usage, transport, etc. This data will then be used to formulate a ‘GHG calculation’ for each individual farmer in order to satisfy the requirements of the ISCC and Clean Fuel Standard programs. This will be ongoing as grower data is always changing
- Aid in setting a benchmark of what growers qualify for the ISCC program vs. those who do not; outline key factors that add into the equation and make recommendations to get a grower qualified
- Act as a sustainable development expert both externally and within the organization
- Remain informed regarding technical developments, marketing trends and competitor strategies via networking, personal development and training.
- Provide knowledge to local farmers on best practices at grower meetings and crop days
Skills & Qualifications:
- Degree or Diploma in Agriculture, Agronomy, Agribusiness, Crop & Soil Science or a relatable field
- Five or more years of crop industry and agronomy experience
- Must be Bilingual (French/English)
- Experience in the agri-food and/or retail industries and strong knowledge of the commodities market an asset
- Knowledge of modern farming practices, various precision ag equipment and related technologies
- Ability to communicate effectively in order to build credibility, rapport, and long-term relationships
- Informatively rally customers around your organization’s vision
- Ability to navigate a complex organization with a business model that encompasses various types of partnerships (producers, international markets, etc.)
- An adept strategic advisor who can move from strategy to execution efficiently
- Willing to travel 75% travel mainly within the areas surrounding Ottawa, Johnstown, Ontario and Varennes, Quebec along with a few nights a quarter to the Chatham, Ontario area.