Ida Farmers Cooperative has been serving the local community and its members for over 90 years. We are a single-location cooperative providing grain buying, agronomy services, feed and farm store. We have a total of 15 full-time employees with additional employees during peak season.
What we’re looking for:
We are currently looking for a General Manager in Ida, MI (SE Michigan) for our cooperative. In this role, you will lead the entire organization including operations, finance and sales. You will focus on improving efficiency across the operation and growing the agronomy services while working closely with the Board (7 members) on long-term strategy and financial planning. We have a strong foundation, financially healthy and looking to grow.
Compensation is highly dependent on the individual; benefits include health, dental insurance, paid-time off and pension plan contributions.
This job might be for you if…
- You love to come in and add structure & efficiency to an organization
- You are ready for the top spot and look forward to the opportunity to lead an organization
- You want to work with a Board that supports change for the location
- You enjoy developing and aligning a team for success
- You enjoy diving in deep in an organization and would love to have limited travel
What you would be doing:
- Full P&L, budgeting responsibility, and cost-control management
- Short and long term strategic planning with the Board
- Formulate goals of the entire organization including short and long-range departmental goals, policies and operating procedures
- Develop, hire, motivate, and monitor performance of staff and work to ensure strong coordination and communication between departments
- Focus on improving efficiency across the organization; maximizing the use of technology, developing standards and protocols
- Maximize utilization of equipment and labor
- Interact with local farmers and community to gather feedback and align services to needs in the market
- Maintain a strong understanding of the industry, competitive trends, current growing conditions/quality and current pricing
- Work with each department head on establishing measurable goals and supporting their initiatives
- Ensure a safe working environment for employees
Living near Ida
Smaller town environment (population of 5,000) with great school systems ranked well in the state of Michigan. We are close to larger towns of Dundee & Lambertville, MI. Two large cities; Toledo, OH 20 minutes to the south and Detroit, MI about 50 minutes to the North.
Highly qualified candidates will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in agribusiness, business administration, management, engineering, food processing or related field, preferred not required.
- 5+ years’ experience in management roles including full P&L responsibility. Strong preference for an individual that has managed an agribusiness or cooperative in the past.
- Successful experience in operational efficiency, equipment utilization and inventory management.
- Strongly demonstrated leadership and communication skills involving employees, customers, peers, and suppliers.
Other titles: Location Manager, Operations Manager, Agronomy Services Manager, GM, Cooperative, Agronomy Manager.