Job Corps graduates of fire certified programs are encouraged to apply.
This position is located in Region 8, Southern Region.
This position is established on a Forest Service unit, to serve as experienced firefighter on a hand crew or other related fire suppression and/or fuels management duties.
Learn more about this agency
- Serves as an experienced firefighter on a hand crew or other related fire suppression crews performing fire suppression.
- Performs all aspects of wildland and prescribed fire operations (e.g preparation, ignition, monitoring, holding, and mop up).
- Collects fire weather data, fuel and/or soil moisture samples, maps projects, and maintains records.
- Responsible for operation and maintenance of specialized equipment used to respond to wildland and prescribed fire situations.
- Performs the full range of standardized forestry support duties for fire, timber, silviculture, recreation, wilderness, or research activities.
- May perform project work such as road and trail maintenance, habitat manipulation, and miscellaneous equipment and facilities maintenance.
- Participates in wildland fire and safety training in the techniques, practices, and methods of fire suppression and in the safe, efficient operation and use of tools, equipment, and vehicles used in fireline activities.
- May assist higher level workers in forestry/range research efforts; in the marketing of forest/range resources; or in the scientific management, protection, and development of forest/range resources.
- May act in assigned positions such as ignition or holding specialist or other designated positions during actual fuel reduction efforts by prescribed fire.
- Duties listed are at the full performance level.
Occasional travel – Occasional overnight travel may be required for fire suppression or fire related assignments.