We are a team-oriented company with a high trust, entrepreneurial culture. We value our employees’ opinions, we have a strong work ethic, and are focused on growing great vegetables and developing our operations profitably. People who are most successful at CSS Farms are energetic, self-directed, and pragmatic.
The Agronomist role in Pasco, WA contributes directly to the success of CSS Farms with significant autonomy and responsibility of managing full farm agronomy and ensuring the healthy production of approximately 9,000 acres of onion, potatoes, and other crops.
In this role, you will:
- Be responsible for agronomic growing decisions for a full farm suite including but not limited to potatoes and onions.
- Oversee and conduct scouting and hands-on field work, such as soil and plant tissue sampling and irrigation scheduling.
- Develop and execute on pest management strategies.
- Provide quality control oversight on key farm operations such as seed handling, planter spacing, and irrigation system uniformity.
- Assist in supervision of product quality assurance, including in-house laboratory
- Manage and oversee the coverage and timing of chemical application.
- Evaluate for plant maturity, including sugar testing in the field and in storage.
- Assist with chemical inventories and enforcement of food safety policies.
- Assist with chemical planning, budgeting, ROI evaluation, and fiscal accountability.
- Supervise storage management and bruise-free handling during harvest.
- Conduct research and development efforts and provide insight on key production issues, such as:
- Psyllid, zebra chip, and other disease control.
- New variety evaluation.
- Variety specific agronomy (seed spacing, fertility, etc.)
- Use of VRT to optimize cost per CWT and quality.
- Maximize water-use and fertilizer-use efficiency.
- Take on other tasks and responsibilities, as needed.
This position works closely with the land and spends a large amount of time in the field. This includes:
- Walking and working outdoors in the elements.
- Driving between farm sites to move samples and other supplies.
- Regularly lifting objects (such as potato samples) of up to 40-50 lbs.
Experience and Skills:
- A completed Bachelor’s degree in Agronomy or closely related field.
- A private applicators license or the ability to get one.
- A valid driver’s license and the ability to pass vehicle insurance verification.
- A relevant Master’s degree or the equivalent in experience.
- 1+ years’ experience in a similar agricultural role is preferred.
- Proficiency with Windows programs, and statistical analysis software.
- The ability to lead and manage people.
- Superior organizational and project management skills.
- Experience with GPS guidance, GIS software, and variable rate applications is preferred.
- Familiarity with irrigated crop production a plus.
- Bilingual in English/Spanish a plus.
- In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
- Market competitive salary
- Healthcare, Dental and Vision coverage as outlined in the company benefits overview.
- Flex spending account for out-of-pocket medical expenses.
- 401(k) plan options.
- Short Term Disability Insurance, Long Term Disability Insurance, and Life Insurance.
- A paid time off package.
- Tuition reimbursement options.
- Opportunities for career advancement in Pasco as well as other CSS Farm locations.
CSS Farms is an EOE.