Empire Land & Cattle is a progressive, family owned and operated farm operation located in west central Iowa. Our main enterprise is row crop farming, with corn and soybeans as our primary crops. We also run a large cow/calf herd and a feedyard that backgrounds and finishes calves and yearlings. We farm in the surrounding areas of Dunlap and Dow City and our headquarters is located between the 2 towns and only ½ mile off pavement. At the headquarters along with the grain bin site and feedyard is our brand new shop and cold storage facility that includes many amenities for our employees such as 11,000 ft2 of heated concrete floors, overhead crane, air conditioned breakroom with lockers, shower, and kitchenette, and offices.
We are hiring a full-time, year-round Farm Mechanic to join our team. You will be performing preventative and routine maintenance and most repairs on our line of Case IH tractors, planters, tillage equipment, combines, and more. We also have trucks, trailers and livestock equipment. The servicing and maintenance will take place in the shop and in-season repairs will be done in field if possible. You will also be operating equipment to assist in planting and harvesting as needed.
We offer a competitive hourly wage based on experience and qualifications, semi-annual performance bonus, group health insurance, paid vacation and holiday time, and an employer matching retirement plan. Off-season schedule is flexible and light, 40-50 hours with no weekends. Planting/Harvesting schedules on demand of weather and timeliness.
Your focuses will include:
Equipment Maintenance and Repair
- Maintain and adhere to a preventive maintenance schedule for all vehicles and machines
- Perform routine truck and trailer inspections and ensure compliance with all DOT regulations
- Rigorously and thoroughly prepare all equipment for future seasonal work to minimize in-season repairs
- Respond to, assess, and diagnose all equipment breakdowns
Communication and Record Keeping
- Communicate with manager how to proceed with repairing breakdowns
- Establish and keep good communications with equipment dealership service technicians and parts salespersons
- Work with manager to keep the shop schedule and farm schedule on target
- Maintain equipment files, including records of all performance of maintenance and repairs for each piece of equipment
- Perform fieldwork, truck driving, and other general farm work, as necessary
- Keep the shop and parts room clean and organized
Quality candidates will possess:
- Strong mechanical ability to perform basic mechanical repairs and maintenance
- Self-motivated, hardworking, honest, and able to work without direct supervision
- Valid driver’s license and ability to drive tractors and trucks
- Ensure a safe and clean working environment for themselves and others working around them
- Own tools are strongly preferred