At Cow Pleasant Dairy, we aim to produce milk, beef and crops of the highest quality with respect for the people, animals and the land that help produce it. We are a family owned 3,400 head dairy located in Weidman, MI.
We’re hiring for a full-time, year-round Crop and Maintenance Manager in Weidman, MI. In this hybrid role, you will be leading all the maintenance for the dairy operations and farm equipment. You will also be leading crop operations of 2,000+ acres, manure management, and grounds maintenance. You will be managing a team of 2-3 full-time employees. In this hands-on manager role, you will be leading a team while performing maintenance projects and operating equipment. We’re looking for an individual who can plan a week to several weeks out in advance while also balancing in-the-moment changes in priorities.
Our ideal candidate brings hands-on people management with prior farming/agriculture experience.
We offer a competitive hourly wage highly dependable on experience, paid time off and retirement IRA plan.
Maintenance management: including but not limited to:
- Plan, schedule and communicate daily activities that will to be conducted by Farm Associates of the mechanic and operator team
- Plan and communicate repairs and maintenance projects with Owner and Dairy Manager
- Oversee the shop and the order that equipment is brought in to be worked on
- Oversee the safety and efficiency of all farm equipment
- Follow up with Farm Associates on daily activities, maintenance schedules and orders
- Communicate and coordinate with Dairy Manager on repairs and maintenance of the barns
- Oversee and manage the feed bunk area
- Be part of the mechanic and operator team
Manure management: including but not limited to:
- Coordinate which fields need applied at the appropriate rates
- Keep accurate records in compliance with EGLE rules
- Communicate procedures with custom manure haulers and Farm Associates
Crop management: including but not limited to:
- Analyze soil samples to determine type and quantity of fertilizer required for maximum soil health and thus production
- Research and grow the right corn and other roughage varieties to fit in the ration of our dairy cows
- Plan and schedule all related field work to prep for planting of the crops
- Scout crops throughout growing season and communicate with agronomist
- Climb stationary ladders and climb in and out of machinery
- Lift and move 50-100 lbs
- Use your hands to fix and replace machinery parts
- Physical stamina
- Excellent hand-eye coordination to operate equipment