Duncan Family Farms® is a multi-regional certified organic family owned farm on over 8,000 acres. Our operations are located in Arizona, California, Oregon and New York. The farm is a year-round supplier of baby leaf items, which consist of several different varieties of lettuce and greens (red and green oaks, red and green romaine, red and green leaf, lolla rosa, tango, mizuna, red chard, green chard, tatsoi, baby kale, arugula and spinach). Our products are shipped across North America, into Canada and the United Kingdom.
Under the direction of the Post-Harvest Supervisor the Post-Harvest Crew Leader provides overall supervision and leadership of post-harvest operations. The ideal candidate should be a motivated self-starter who will work effectively in a team environment with customers, administration and all department supervisors to utilize available resources to increase operational efficiency, productivity and company profitability. Travel to regional farm locations will be required to support seasonal growing periods. This is a year-round position. The Post-Harvest Crew Leader will report to the Post-Harvest Supervisor.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- In coordination with other department Crew Leaders, supervise 10 – 15 operational employees.
- Will coordinate contract laborer assignment for the Post-Harvest department.
- Oversee and coordinate the daily activities of the receiving, shipping, forklift operators, and other staff engaged in the receiving, shipping and cooling of product.
- Responsible for recordkeeping maintaining the chain of custody from field to customer
- Ensures the quality of produce shipped abides by all Food Safety Standards.
- Will ensure all Food Safety Rules are followed and all Food Safety Logs are accurately maintained such as, Sanitation Logs, Forklift Checklist Logs, Chemical Usage Logs, amongst others.
- Prepare and plan daily utilization of resources to ensure consistent and efficient post-harvest operations.
- Determines appropriate cooling methods, identification and stock location based on the turnover, environmental factors and physical capabilities of the facilities location.
- Administer and support company safety and health programs to ensure a safe workplace.
- Work closely with Harvest and Sales departments to meet changing customer needs.
- Provide support and coordination for the movement of Post-Harvest equipment between farm locations.
- Leads a Food Safety & Quality culture within the business.
- Drives to achieve, sustain, and continuously improve product quality & quality systems, personnel safety, food safety, personnel development, and financial results.
- Facilitate continuous process improvement projects.
- Overnight travel of up to 30-40% to other farm districts.
- All other duties as assigned
Physical Demands: The employee is required to stand for extended periods of time (duration of the shift, 8 -12 hours); walk; reach with hands and arms. The employee must be able to push/pull/lift and or move 50 pounds.
Work Environment: The employee is routinely exposed to wet, cold, or hot outside weather conditions. Work inside the cooler is also required at times. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Minimum of High School diploma, General Education Diploma (GED) or equivalent education.
- 1-2 years inventory or warehouse experience.
- Experience in fresh produce and/or agriculture preferred
- Knowledge in food safety, HACCP, GMPs and related protocols;
- Ability to effectively positively lead, motivate, and communicate to employees in English and Spanish
- Good organizational and time management skill with an ability to multi-task.
- Good computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Must have valid driver’s license and be insurable.
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and manage multiple responsibilities and tasks;
- Ability to work extensive hours, weekends, and ability to travel 30% of the time to satellite locations.
- Process improvement and problem-solving skills.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Problem Solving – Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner; gather and analyze information skillfully; develop alternative solutions.
- Teamwork -Team player who will exceed assigned responsibilities and assist others to reach objectives.
- Ethics – Treat fellow employees from own and other cultures with respect; work with honesty and integrity; uphold organizational values.