The incumbent provides engineering assistance working with landowners, groups, and units of government to apply and maintain a variety of conservation practices in their area of assigned responsibility. This position is supervised by a District Conservationist or Engineer but always with technical guidance provided by an engineer and under the Engineering Job Approval Authority (EJAA) of the State Conservation Engineer.
Learn more about this agency
- Provides on-site technical assistance and training to field personnel in installation of conservation practices: parallel terraces, ponds, waterways, irrigation systems, agricultural waste mgmt systems, grass-based rotations, pasture planting, etc.
- Performs construction inspections on simple and complex structures for conservation systems. Performs drafting and other graphical work on a computer-aided drafting system and maintains they system equipment and supplies.
- Determines the type, scope and intensity of field investigations and surveys needed. Directs collection of field data and assures adequacy of collected data.
- Designs and supervises the design of complete engineering practices and structures. Prepares job sheets and designs. Prepares as-built plans. Prepares engineering cost estimates and construction performance time estimates.
- Selects and applies standard methods of computation for quantities such as concrete, earth fill and excavation. Develops standard drawings on the CAD system.
- Coordinates quality reviews of conservation practices and checks engineering work of field office personnel.
Occasional travel – You may be expected to travel for this position.