As an intern in the engineering department, the successful candidate will be engaged to further develop the efforts of Dole Fresh Vegetables for continuous improvement. The intern will contribute to achieving dryer optimization and standardization by determining, recommending and documenting at what speeds and time each product should be processed (dried) to ensure consistent processing as well as determining the benefits of this improved process.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS/DUTIES OF THE POSITION
- Understand current operational practices and related SOPs of the value-added plant
- Gain basic understanding of current dryer cycle times and practices across the three facilities
- Research, evaluate, recommend and document optimal speed and dry time of products
- Develop and communicate benefits of resulted recommendation
- Create and recommend an implementation standardization plan for the three value-added facilities
- Follow all employee safety and food safety policies and practices
- Other duties as assigned
- 2020 summer internship
- Paid internship
- No housing assistance provided
- Knowledge of Word, Excel and MS-Project
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, ability to work in a collaborative and inclusive environment
- Understanding and ability to apply basic Mechanical Engineering principles, theories and concepts
- Dynamic, hands-on ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented food-processing environment
- Ability to maneuver around an array of equipment, bend, stoop, climb stairs, lift up to 40 pounds, identify and distinguish colors, and work in a cold environment (35* on Plant floor).
- Will have some exposure to fumes and airborne particles.
WORK HOUR REQUIREMENT
- 40-hour workweek, no overtime expected.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATION
- Current rising Junior or Senior majoring in Mechanical / Electrical or Chemical Engineering or other related engineering field, from an accredited college/university.
EEO STATEMENT: We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
Job Location Springfield, Ohio, United States Position Type Intern