Our Engineering interns students have the opportunity to experience operations in a variety of food processing plant facilities across the Midwest, such as oilseed processing or refinery locations, corn dry or wet-milling operations, or industrial chemicals manufacturing facilities. Internships are 12 weeks in duration during the summer. Our paid positions include fully-furnished, company-paid housing. Standard costs are reimbursed for relocating to and from the assigned location.
The Electrical Engineering Intern will apply technical knowledge and expertise to complex engineering design, modification, and construction projects by using SKM Power Tools software to perform short-circuit analysis, protective coordination, and arc-flash protection studies for various sized industrial facilities from grain elevators to expansive agricultural processing facilities.
Essential Job Functions:
- Complete electrical system studies to identify deficiencies in electrical systems in a variety of facilities and situations using SKM Power Tools software.
- Document and organize electrical systems study to provide updated one-lines and recommendations for system upgrades and improvements to design team.
- Establish project objectives, policies, procedures and performance standards within boundaries of corporate policies. Put these in clear and concise work statements for the project team.
- Engineering and implementing solutions for deficiencies identified from system studies. Solutions must fit within the existing framework of the facility while minimizing cost and facility downtime.
- Capital project development and design review.
- Equipment specification.
- Utilize independent judgment to solve problems, have excellent organizational skills to effectively handle multiple ongoing tasks and strive for continuous improvement.
- Working hands-on as well as being able to facilitate and manage other electrical workers in order to gather data and conduct electrical systems studies in the most efficient way possible.
- Maximizing the safety and reliability of electrical systems.
- Providing technical support and training to others when necessary.
Ideal candidate will have experience or abilities in the following areas:
- Awareness of hazards involved with working around electrical systems with high available fault currents.
- Commitment to always working safely by wearing required Personal Protective Equipment.
- Knowledge of electrical power distribution and design.
- Knowledge of National Electrical Code.
- Experience with SKM or other computer-assisted power study programs and an interest or experience in performing short-circuit & protective coordination analysis, arc-flash, and power studies.
- Technical competence in electrical engineering and related systems.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications: (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills for working with electricians, plant engineers, and upper management.
- Working knowledge of common electrical systems drawings and documentation, such as electrical plans and elevations, conduit and cable schedules, one-line diagrams, MCC and switchgear layouts and details, electrical panel schedules, wiring diagrams, motor-control and other schematics, P&IDs, lighting plans, electrical equipment specification sheets, motor lists, etc.
- Willingness to spend time in plant areas – tolerate extreme temperatures, walk long distances, stand, climb stairs and ladders and move through close spaces.
- Willingness to travel and stay overnight away from home.
- Ability to work effectively on a team as well as independently while traveling to remote plant locations.
You will receive consistent feedback and mentorship throughout your internship and will receive a final evaluation at the end of your experience. Students return to campus with a new focus on learning through their application of real-world experience from ADM.
- Pursuing a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering
- GPA of 2.8 or greater preferred
- Adequate transportation to and from work
- ADM requires the successful completion and of a pre-employment physical screening, drug screen/alcohol screen and background check is required
- This experience is physically demanding, and relates to those who desire hands-on experience in a production setting. Some tasks may require lifting, the ability to climb ladders, and working in confined spaces (including tanks and vessels).
There’s a place at ADM that will engage your mind, stimulate your professional development, and satisfy your hunger to make a vital difference. Are you ready to find a place to feed your passion?