Welcome to Progressive Agricultural Management in Wray, Colorado. We’re a family-owned, vast commercial farming operation growing grain, kidney beans, popcorn, and organic specialty crops on nearly all irrigated acres. We’ve grown our organization significantly the past several years and are continuing our growth in acres. We pride ourselves on establishing and maintaining strong partnerships with contract growers, vendors and customers. We have a leadership style that is always focused on continuous improvement and building a team of problem-solvers.
We’re hiring a key individual in our organization to be part of the senior management team in our relatively flat organization. As the Director of Agronomy you would be developing the crop plan, nutrient program, spray application, water timing and oversee in-field operations. Our ideal candidate has a strong agronomy knowledge and understands the fine balance of implementing best practices while understanding the cost/benefit impact of decisions. You would be working closely with the Owner and Controller being part of leadership team defining strategy, resource planning, and short/long term goals. This role is perfect for an agronomist or agronomy manager seeking to grow in their career.
We offer competitive compensation is highly dependent background plus 401K with company match up to 5%, company pick-up, and paid time off.
Your focus areas
- Develop and manage nutrient program pre-plant and in-season
- Analyze soil and tissue sample results to determine appropriate action for improvement
- Develop proactive programs using new and present methods to determine optimal levels of pest control and soil nutrient and biological health
- Develop crop budget and plan for the year
- Review optimal planting and harvesting methods focused on quality while understanding feasibility and cost/benefit impact of suggested changes
- Determine spray recommendations for disease/insect/weed control on a weekly basis working closely with the Agronomy Operations Technician that will handle execution of the recommendations
- Manage irrigation timing and fertigation programs
- Analyze viability of future ground to be rented
- Monitor yield progress and work with operations on harvest timing
Qualified Applicants would bring:
- Bachelor’s in agronomy, crop and soil sciences, agriculture, agribusiness, plant pathology and/or related field
- Minimum 8+ years of agronomy experience
- Preferred experience with organic crops
- Preferred experience with irrigated specialty crops
- Certified Crop Advisor (CCA) nice-to-have, not required